Trrs vs Single End on CIEMs
Mar 31, 2018 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tanelorn

100+ Head-Fier
Hey.
I have some quite sensitive vision ears ve8 CIEMs and heard some things about using trrs 2.5mm over single ended 3.5mm would be much better in SQ.

Now, does that really make a difference? Can I just switch the cable on my CIEMs from single ended to trrs? Or do the CIEMs have to support that?

If I have a dac like ultrasone naos which has a 3.5 single ended connector, an adapter and trrs cable would not make a difference right? Thanks in advance..

Apr 1, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 6
IMO, TRRS does nothing in itself. What really matters is the implementation inside the your AMP/DAC. You really have to look at specifications and measurements (like Output power, THD, Noise levels, jitter, etc.).
However if you still want to change, you'll need a unit which has a dedicated 2.5/3.5/4.4 or XLR (or other) balanced connection and a cable to your IEMs. The VE8s uses standard 2-Pin (0.78mm). Finding a proper cable should not be difficult.
I had countless units with balanced and non-balanced implementations. From my expierence I had more issues with balanced than with standard fare.

I recommend going to the Sound Science forum. To me this discussion about balanced connections (and cables) is a waste of time and money.

Apr 2, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 6
Balanced output is really like a myth till today. No hard and fast rule to explain because ultimately still based on personal preference and experience. To me, balanced output does deliver a cleaner sound (The noise is significantly reduced) due to the destructive interference in the balance output to reduce the noise. It is still depends on your music player. I find that SONY new 4.4mm balanced output sounds really amazing :) more significant as compared to the traditional 2.5mm output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back