Troubleshooting with my Phiaton Moderna MS 400 Headphones
Jun 11, 2010 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

kwang68

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased Phiaton MS 400's, and I am extremely satisfied with my purchase. However, I found that if I plug in my iPod Video 80GB to a power source while listening to music, there is a static *Whoosh* first when plugging in the headphones, and then intermittent crackling, daresay, evil static noises coming from the right cup. I tested it while my iPhone was plugged in and the issue didn't replicate for the iPhone, but consistently (4-5 times now) with my original iPod (or iPod "Classic" as apple calls them now).

Is this a known issue? I've searched Google but I guess my parameters weren't clear enough because I couldn't find anything to back this up.

Thanks!

Jun 12, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #2 of 2
Since your new phones aren't especially sensitive and it only happens in one channel, when you plug in to to that particular device, I'd say there's something wrong with the ipod.  It's hard to say what exactly is wrong with it but somehow, engaging the charging circuit is producing a signal on one channel.  Worst case is that there is some sort of intermittent short circuit that's putting current on the the right channel.  If it happens to be DC, it has a good chance of BBQing the voice coil and ruining your 'phones.

At minimum, I would never charge the ipod with any sort of headphones plugged into it.  If you're feeling paranoid, finding someone to fix your ipod, or just replacing it altogether wouldn't be crazy ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back