Troubleshooting - Source, amp, or headphones?
Oct 5, 2007 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ultimate157

New Head-Fier
I just got a pair of Sennhesier HD595's, and after reading all the reviews, I'm trying to figure out why the sub bass isn't sounding like it should.

Right now I have my computer as the source (Creative X-Fi) with my Logitech Z-5500's as a crude amp. The sub bass sounds as if the speakers are unable to reproduce notes that low, and that they are being over driven.

Would a real amp help solve this problem? Or is the problem in the source ?

Oct 5, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #3 of 8
i was listeting HD595 on SB audigy, and after i bought 0404PCI there is an addition in sub bass,when i connected them to cdp there was an addition of sub bass, so i think u should try to change to source, but try some other source before.

Oct 5, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you are confusing real sub-bass with rumbling/thumping mid-bass (which Logitech subs are infamous for).

I do a lot with car audio systems, and I love the low end
smily_headphones1.gif
IIRC the 5500's roll off around 45hz or so, and lack in the "real" sub bass frequencies.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShanDo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was listeting HD595 on SB audigy, and after i bought 0404PCI there is an addition in sub bass,when i connected them to cdp there was an addition of sub bass, so i think u should try to change to source, but try some other source before.

I'll try changing my source and see if it helps.

Oct 5, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 8
I was under the impression that the 595s were some of the least-bassy Sennheisers available. They're usually described as a compromise between the warm, smooth sound of the 600/650 and the forward sound of something from Grado.

Still, a dedicated amplifier should help. Also, give the headphones a considerable amount of time to break in. They should loosen up the more they're used.

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 8
Yeah, if you just got those phones your gonna want to wait a good 100 hours or so before they start really sounding like they should. Also if you are getting some breakup in the lower frequencies at low volume levels, that wont be your headphones, that could either be your source, the crappy logitech amp driving them or your using a low bitrate MP3. (if it IS a MP3 your listening to.) I own a pair of logitech speakers z5300 or something like that, and when I put some decent volume behind them when connected to the computer speakers, the highs break up terribly, and the bass is just distorted noise. So chances are its your Computer speakers. Try it with a dedicated amp and a cd (if your not already using a cd lol) and see what happens. But like you said, your comp speakers are a crude amp, and i bet any money thats what it is. =P Oh yeah also try reducing the bass setting on your comp speakers. That may help as well. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back