Troubleshooting pops from m-audio revo
Feb 24, 2004 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Ohoen

100+ Head-Fier
I don't do much listening from the computer and when I do I don't pay much attention. So, I don't know when this started, it may be that I've had this problem for a while and am only just now noticing it. The trouble is that I get a pop whenever I do anything on the computer while listening. It can be running a program or just as the mouse pointer travels over an icon.

I've installed the latest driver, turned off the mic input and tried different speakers and phones. Any ideas?

Feb 25, 2004 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 22
different PCI slot may help..

Feb 25, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 22
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...rd+help+ap2496

I was just in the same boat as you. You'll be happy to know that I resolved my problem... eventually. Resolution on page 3.

I'm guessing that you are using some form of Windows 2k/XP.

I'm also guessing that you have a Video Card connected to the AGP slot.

The sound card and the video card are most likely using the same IRQ. Although Microsoft says that sharing IRQs is okay, many gamers know that the video card should be on its own IRQ.

Before you try my time consuming fix, try Glassman's fix. Just take the sound card and physically move it from one PCI slot to another.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

Feb 26, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Hydrac7
I've moved my card to different slots, and still the same thing.

Also, my soundcard is IRQ 17 and my video card is IRQ 19. I'm using Windows XP.

But does your video card have its own IRQ? It isn't sharing with anything else??? I found that was the problem with mine since my audigy2 also stuttered (to a lesser degree) when booting up windows. Once I gave my video card its own IRQ, all was good in the world.

Also, be aware that different IRQs have different priorities. You might want to read up on IRQs and their priorities...

Try it.

Feb 26, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #6 of 22
The information that would help is... what motherboard are you using (mobo and revision if applicable)?

It would be useful to help figure out which PCI slots are exclusive.

I don't see why the video card would share IRQs with anything other than a sound card if you have no other PCI cards (though, that statement is moot if you do).

Since ACPI allows for IRQs above like 20, unless you have a lot of onboard stuff and have it all enabled, there shouldn't be a problem with IRQ sharing involving the vid card.

Feb 26, 2004 at 10:39 AM Post #8 of 22
Try changing:

pci latency
pci delayed transactions
pci doh soemthing else hehe but it's related to this....u'll prob know when you see it.

it's about slowing down the pci bus giving more time to your soundcard to use the pci bus.

Feb 26, 2004 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 22
@Hydrac and Ohoen

If you find resolutions for your problems, please post them in this thread so that others can search and fix theirs faster in the future.

@Ctn

That is something I have never even read about. Sounds like it could work.

@Kelston

About the ACPI thing... You'd think so, but Microsoft claims a lot of things that just don't work in the real world.

I really hope you guys find a fix, that problem makes it extremely difficult to enjoy your music. I almost was going to give up and just sell the card. Keep the faith.

Feb 26, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

About the ACPI thing... You'd think so, but Microsoft claims a lot of things that just don't work in the real world.

Yeah you are asking for hassles if you have ACPI turned on.
I have it off at all time.

I found out that it contributes to cracks and pops.

Quote:

@Ctn

That is something I have never even read about. Sounds like it could work.

It should work. It's the main cause of crackles and pops. The soundcard doesnt get the bandwidth it needs. You get the picture.

As a general rule of thumb, if you can avoid sharing irqs. Use this resource. Letting the OS handle it, is stupid if you can avoid it.

I use to have an amd system with a sblive with the dreaded northbridge. The worse combo for crackles and pops. The lack of pci bandwidth also resulted in hdd data corruption. Lets hope it doesnt come to that for you.

Feb 26, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by slunk007
@Hydrac and Ohoen

If you find resolutions for your problems, please post them in this thread so that others can search and fix theirs faster in the future.

Will do. I haven't started yet. No time. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Feb 26, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #12 of 22
I changed my PCI Latency in my Bios from 32 to 64. So far, it seems to be working fine, but we'll see. I'll give an update in a few hours, or whenever there's a pop. Whichever comes first.

Also, in the manual it says that the AGP slot shares IRQ's with PCI slot 2 and 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back