Troubled Ripping Results
Mar 22, 2009 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Busta9iron

100+ Head-Fier
I have been ripping some cd's and syncing to my Fuze. Several, not all have an underlying hiss in the background. Tried WAV, Ogg and both have this hiss. Actually the WAV files appeared worse than the Ogg. Tried WMP (WAV) and Winamp (Ogg) Both to no avail.

The most recent CD was a greatest hits, so I was thinking that it is the different recordings for different CD's, but it is driving me nuts with the hiss.

Several CD's are from the 80's so this may be a problem? I don't know.

My questions are, Is the CD the problem? Can I use another ripping program with hiss filters? What would that software be? Am I being too analytical? Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, I am using ATH AD700's PA2V2 amp and Luxman Amp for use at the computer. If this helps with answers. Thanks for your help.

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 7
Sure it's not the general noise floor in your system? For example with IEM's the hiss is much louder due to higher sensivity. Even my quiet Hi-Fi amps have hiss, if you go right upto the tweeters.

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 7
No, the CD's are not scratched. First two songs on the last CD had terrible background hiss. Very similar to playing a cassette that was recorded in Dolby, but played back without Dolby noise reduction. If you ever heard that, as I don't know all your ages, that is the best way to describe the noise. I am going to try high bitrate MP3, just for trying to see if that does anything.

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 7
I'm using CD's, don't know if the songs were remastered or not. My guess is that it is in the recording, but I do not know, that is why I brought it up here. Thanks for your help so far, and any more advice would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back