Trouble with speakers, repairable?
Nov 13, 2005 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Feanor

1000+ Head-Fier
Recently, one of my Paradigm Atoms has developed a not-too-loud buzzing sound when playing deep bass notes. I took it apart, and this is what I found:

harom1.jpg

egy1.jpg

ketto1.jpg

These are three separate photos of the one rip I found. My question: can anything be done to help with this issue?

Nov 13, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 11
Look up speaker repair or 'refoaming'. You can perhaps find businesses that do it for you or DIY.

Nov 13, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 11
Nov 14, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #5 of 11
I'd imagine that's fixable, but either way, get it done fast. I had a pair of speakers where the whole foam part (same are as what you're indicating) was ripped. A sock was holding the driver in place and it eventually got the point where I couldn't stand the sound. Granted, I got them that way and they were fine for a short while. As I said though, get it fixed soon if you value your sound.

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
You could contact Orange County Speaker at http://speakerrepair.com/

You beat me on that one man....those guys arereally serious....that is a simple fix, just a refoam service, but has to be someone that really is familiar with the job as there will be hundreds of kits or sets avaialble, and not too many that will do justice to your drivers.

That is the death of foam surrounds...they rotten with time, nothing ot worry about if they could be fixed, next time go for cloth or butil surrounds, more durable....but some consider the foam better material due ot the low mass..

If this is an expensive driver, in your shoes I would contact the manufacturer and replace them or make them fixed by the same naufacturer with the same exact materials

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 11
For a temporary quick fix, just find some water based glue and smear it on
icon10.gif

I don't know if I would spend $35 on a foam kit for atoms. That's 1/3 the price of a good pair on ebay. Also, I suspect that the speaker may have been overdriven, so you may want to watch that. The atoms are limited in how much sound they can produce.

Nov 14, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
For a temporary quick fix, just find some water based glue and smear it on
icon10.gif

I don't know if I would spend $35 on a foam kit for atoms. That's 1/3 the price of a good pair on ebay. Also, I suspect that the speaker may have been overdriven, so you may want to watch that. The atoms are limited in how much sound they can produce.

Yes, the speakers where probably overdriven during a party at my house. Thats the curse of letting 20+ people near hi-fi equipment.

Nov 14, 2005 at 6:19 AM Post #9 of 11
Yeah, that didn't look like foam rot to me. Just good ol' "too much excursion *RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP*"

Do the quick fix now, save up for some diy speaker project
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #10 of 11
paradigm's site should have a list of authorized dealers in your area most of which should be able to do repair work for you, i'd suggest one of them as they are actually authorized to sell the product so the chance of them working on one before is better

Nov 16, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoxMonkey
paradigm's site should have a list of authorized dealers in your area most of which should be able to do repair work for you, i'd suggest one of them as they are actually authorized to sell the product so the chance of them working on one before is better

No such luck for me, the nearest one is in the czech republic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back