Trouble With Kernel Streaming
Aug 9, 2005 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Madcat05

100+ Head-Fier
I'm having trouble getting Kernel Streaming working on my new PC.

I setup my AV710 using Mr. Radar's guide, but when KS is set as the output method I get the error:

"ERROR (foo_out_ks) : KS output error: error opening device."

All the other output methods work just fine. I'm also using the high sample jack.

Can anyone help me out?

Aug 9, 2005 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 12
Man...I had the same problem. I did fix it, but that has been months ago and I can't remember what did the trick. Seems like it was something simple. If I think of anything I'll post again and let you know.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 12
Here's a screenshot from Foobar of the Playback menu:

FoobarOutput.jpg

Is there anything I didn't enable/disable?

Aug 9, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 12
I just enabled upsampling and Kernel Streaming is working. Thanks for the help!

Aug 9, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madcat05
I just enabled upsampling and Kernel Streaming is working. Thanks for the help!

Hehe! - result!
biggrin.gif
Stay away from Aiso though,If you thought KS was a headache....
mad.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
Hehe! - result!
biggrin.gif
Stay away from Aiso though,If you thought KS was a headache....
mad.gif

I'll stick away from ASIO, KS seems good enough for me
tongue.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Madcat05
I'll stick away from ASIO, KS seems good enough for me
tongue.gif

Try both and compare if you can. For those whose tastes align with ASIO, KS is near-intolerable.

Aug 10, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf
In what respect?

Thomas

I suspect people who prefer turntables, tubed CDP/DAC's will prefer KS, while those who like things like cutting-edge switching amplifiers (like NuForce, Tripath, ICE) will prefer ASIO.

KS sounds fine when listened to by itself, excelling in liquidity, "analogueness", roundness, but when directly compared to ASIO, I prefer ASIO's more direct, unforgiving, almost stark, resolved quality, which CAN be more irritating if recording is not top-notch.

Aug 10, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #11 of 12
hey guys when i use kernel streaming im getting the error message when i upsampling to 96 KHz....but when im using 41 KHz or 48KHz it play fine...anyone know what the problem is?

you enable upsampling in DSP manager right? where you get the Resampler (SSRC) on the active DSPs right?

Aug 10, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #12 of 12
@JonL

are you suggesting there is actually a difference in sound between using kernel streaming and ASIO when using the same card and player in bit perfect mode?

This has come up so many times but it could mostly be traced to some other factor that led to different bits being renderd on the card.

Some cards have a generic driver mechanism to transfer the bits to the card and they just write a bit of glue code to make the device appear as an ASIO device or hook it into WDM audio. In the end the same bits end up on the card and the same clock and converters are being used to play them. It is pretty hard to envision how there could be a difference in sound.

Do you have any ideas?

Cheers

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back