Trouble with AMP power maths. advice?
Feb 6, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #31 of 36
Differential drive requires separate GND conductors to each driver. If you have a 3-pin on one side of the headphone instead of a 2-pin on each side then that means there's a shared GND and R+ on the 3-pin, then two conductors run around the headband to get the R+ and GND to the right side driver.
Makes sense. :frowning2: thanks for all the info.

Feb 6, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #32 of 36
Random Question, but the regular HP-A4 Fostex is powered by the USB cable.
Would the Fostex HP-A4BL (balanced 4 pin) give more power through the unbalanced because its powered by an actual power cable? or does it make no difference ?

Feb 6, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #33 of 36
Random Question, but the regular HP-A4 Fostex is powered by the USB cable.
Would the Fostex HP-A4BL (balanced 4 pin) give more power through the unbalanced because its powered by an actual power cable? or does it make no difference ?

W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶c̶k̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶n̶?̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶c̶l̶u̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶l̶a̶n̶c̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶p̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶H̶P̶-̶A̶4̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶p̶u̶t̶s̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶i̶n̶g̶l̶e̶ ̶e̶n̶d̶e̶d̶.̶ ̶I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶c̶i̶f̶i̶c̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶s̶h̶e̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶F̶o̶s̶t̶e̶x̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶v̶i̶d̶e̶s̶.̶

Never mind, my bad, I re-read it now I get it... While the A4-BL does outputs more power through SE than the A4, the reasons may not strictly be limited to just the external power source.

A4-BL
Balanced: Maximum Output: 300mW or more (32 ohm)
Unbalanced: Maximum Output: 150mW or more (32 ohm)

A4
Unbalanced: Maximum Output: 100mW (32-ohm)
/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #34 of 36
cause the HP-A4 is 499.99 for me
and the BL version is 636.34... so if i'm to understand... the BL version has more power for unbalanced because it has a legit power source instead of USB power. so i guess i should get the BL version. as a bonus if i ever get a BL pair of cans i'll be set EX: HD660S

Feb 6, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #35 of 36
so if i'm to understand... the BL version has more power for unbalanced because it has a legit power source instead of USB power.

Sort of. It's one of the reasons. There are other causes of why the output may be higher, like, for example, the efficiency of the amplifier.

so i guess i should get the BL version. as a bonus if i ever get a BL pair of cans i'll be set EX: HD660S
You also don't need A4-BL to run the HD660S, the A4 is more than enough.

Feb 6, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #36 of 36
yeah thats what im thinking cause the price difference is enormous :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back