Trouble finding my bearings -.-
Jun 4, 2008 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Awah

100+ Head-Fier
Ok. I've been reading and searching for exactly what I want for over a month now and I still have completely unsure what I do want! This is the third time I've posted roughly the same thing, but now at least I believe the portable Amp/DAC is out of the way :p

At the moment I own UESF Pro 5's and was looking for a portable amp/dac to clear up the noise from my latop. So I went ahead and order the Headamp Pico! Hopefully this will do a great job with what I need
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I'm looking for a home setup that can be run with the Pico, which is where I get stuck. I can't find the perfect headphones, am I trying to hard? Should I just pick one, try it out and get another if its the wrong one?

Ok, I'm going to make the rest of this post to the point!

Main Music Taste

Symphonic Metal
Trance/Electronic
Classical (Mainly Solo Piano)

Need

- Headphones to match my music taste
- Will Pico suffice as an amp/dac or should i purchase a dedicated desktop amp?
- Can I interconnect an amp with the Pico (for DAC use)

I've been looking at the Grados Sr225/325i, Senn HD600, AKG701.
Should I look elsewhere?
I'm already under the impression I will need at least two pairs to shine
with all my music minimum :p

I believe my wallet is in big big trouble....

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Awah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should I just pick one, try it out and get another if its the wrong one?

This is really the only way to know. But headphones, as with most other audio equipment, is fairly financially safe to try as long as you make smart buys.

Purchase a used pair of popular headphones (like the ones you are considering) in good condition, keep them in good condition, and odds are you will be able to resell at the same price if you do not like them.

Besides the SR225's, all of the other headphones you're looking at come up pretty regularly in the ForSale forum. The SR225's come up too, just not as frequently.

And unless you only listen to one type of music, I am a firm believer that you need more than one good set of headphones. I am a huge fan of having multiple phones to cycle through depending on music, mood, whatever.

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 13
If your wallet can deal with it (stand up to it! revolution against wallets!) just try one that gets generally good reviews especially towards that type of music.

Search around the forums, youll be amazed at the secrets that are locked up.

For example, my ATH-A700's are probably better for a specific type of music, but they sound great with all types.

(Personally, my 700's shine with electronica/trance because the bass is strong, extended, and only the SLIGHTEST bit muddy, which actually enhances the trance experience in my personal opinion. Its not super tight, and its not dragged out, but just enough to make you feel like youre in a club environment. Its pretty sweet.

Id go with the 600's, just because :]

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD2000 and never look back.
wink.gif

Any reason I should consider the AD2000? :p

Hmm...I've recently just discovered the Cowon D2. Perhaps I should get that to replace my PSP for on the go? Pockets can't fit my PSP very well in the summer time haha!

My wallet should be able to take a beating. I was certain on the AKG's, then started considering the Grado's and ended up reading about the 600's!!! Gah it has been a never ending circle seriously.

Will the Pico be able to push the 600s or shall I look for a dedicated desktop amp? (Assuming I can run my music through the Pico's DAC? Read somewhere here that someone ran the Pico through his Predator so I should be possible right?)

This is crazy. I came looking for a pair of IEMs last december...now I'm getting all insane and such o.O

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Any reason I should consider the AD2000? :p

Hmm...I've recently just discovered the Cowon D2. Perhaps I should get that to replace my PSP for on the go? Pockets can't fit my PSP very well in the summer time haha!

My wallet should be able to take a beating. I was certain on the AKG's, then started considering the Grado's and ended up reading about the 600's!!! Gah it has been a never ending circle seriously.

Will the Pico be able to push the 600s or shall I look for a dedicated desktop amp? (Assuming I can run my music through the Pico's DAC? Read somewhere here that someone ran the Pico through his Predator so I should be possible right?)

This is crazy. I came looking for a pair of IEMs last december...now I'm getting all insane and such o.O

Yup, AD2000 does very well across all genres, and it's not as picky about amping as K701 and HD600 are. Grados are horrible (read: absolutely horrible) for classical music IMO save for HF-1s and HP1000s etc.

Also, I noticed that you like trance and electronica - AD2000 will handle extremely low bass with zero bloat or sluggishness.

It's also not bad for classical (I haven't touched my K701s since I got my AD2000s) - if you like being involved within the music, rather than analyzing it, AD2000s do a better job in that sense.

I generally stay away from extremely heavy metal (hardest stuff I listen to is metallica ;p), but AD2000 had no problem handling it (although I prefer my grado 325i for edgier presentation).

If you do most of your listening at home, it might be better to grab a home amp. I haven't tried Pico yet, but I've tried AD2000 with gilmore lite (around 260$ used) and it was quite amazing.

I hope that helps
wink.gif

Edit:
Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f13/re...ad2000-199747/

Very compelling review...

More to consider now :p

ahh you beat me to it!

Also, take a look at this wonderful review by Elephas:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...ad2000-120019/

Lastly, take a look at this not-so-wonderful review done by myself:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/my-...ad2000-302281/

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Ok. I've been reading and searching for exactly what I want for over a month now and I still have completely unsure what I do want! This is the third time I've posted roughly the same thing, but now at least I believe the portable Amp/DAC is out of the way :p

At the moment I own UESF Pro 5's and was looking for a portable amp/dac to clear up the noise from my latop. So I went ahead and order the Headamp Pico! Hopefully this will do a great job with what I need
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I'm looking for a home setup that can be run with the Pico, which is where I get stuck. I can't find the perfect headphones, am I trying to hard? Should I just pick one, try it out and get another if its the wrong one?

Ok, I'm going to make the rest of this post to the point!

Main Music Taste

Symphonic Metal
Trance/Electronic
Classical (Mainly Solo Piano)

Need

- Headphones to match my music taste
- Will Pico suffice as an amp/dac or should i purchase a dedicated desktop amp?
- Can I interconnect an amp with the Pico (for DAC use)

I've been looking at the Grados Sr225/325i, Senn HD600, AKG701.
Should I look elsewhere?
I'm already under the impression I will need at least two pairs to shine
with all my music minimum :p

I believe my wallet is in big big trouble....

Try Ultrasone PRO750 or 2500.
They are easy to drive (Pico may do it), but will be a lot better with a real amp (Rudistor).

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #10 of 13
Interesting :p The AD2000 really may be my Holy Grail...
Is there anyway to demo one? Stores in my city don't carry much
frown.gif

@Rednamalas1 I do a lot of listening at home but I would really like to enjoy my music while at school and my laptop sucks at providing me with clean sound so I opted for the Pico to handle that issue
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll take a serious look at the AD2000 and perhaps an home amp. Still unsure if I can run the Pico through one? Is that possible? From what I've read the Pico has a great DAC so I assume it would be great.

@Kees I'll take a look at those 2.

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f13/re...ad2000-199747/

Very compelling review...

More to consider now :p

Price is high, could purchase 2 lower ends for that one. Wish I lived somewhere closer to meets
frown.gif
Would make this so much easier!

Quote:

Interesting :p The AD2000 really may be my Holy Grail...
Is there anyway to demo one? Stores in my city don't carry much
frown.gif

@Rednamalas1 I do a lot of listening at home but I would really like to enjoy my music while at school and my laptop sucks at providing me with clean sound so I opted for the Pico to handle that issue
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll take a serious look at the AD2000 and perhaps an home amp. Still unsure if I can run the Pico through one? Is that possible? From what I've read the Pico has a great DAC so I assume it would be great.

Pico should be fine, although ASR liked headamp's other portable amp, AE-2, better.

I don't think there's a retailer besides asia that has them to demo...
it might be better to find out which members have a pair to try out at local meets IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naim.F.C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you buy the AD2000 in the UK? Anyone have a link?

I don't think they are - I think you need to get them from 1) ebay 2)bluetin/pricejapan/audiocubes 3)FS forum

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #12 of 13
Awah,

No one has really addressed your question about the pico amp/dac combo with your PC and headphones. The answer is yes!!!!! Outstanding with my macbook pro and Pico/AKG 701's. Could the 701's sound better with a bigger amp/dac? Maybe, I don't know cause I never tried it. I can tell you with 100% confidence that you'll be blown away with that combo. The sound is NOTICEABLY much better. Don't hesitate to pull the trigger. I agree with a previous post that buying a used pair of AKG 701's is almost risk free.

Try it, you'll like it my friend.

Jun 4, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #13 of 13
Oi. It appears I need more posts to even be able reply in the For Sale area. I will do some more research tomorrow night. I'm up way too late again -.-

Thanks for the help so far! Guarantee more questions to come!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back