Trouble diagnosing problem with Beyer DT250-80
Sep 7, 2009 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

invisiman

100+ Head-Fier
Recently, my pair of Beyer's have started experiencing an odd kind of signal drop out. Certain frequencies/instruments fail to be produced all together, for example, on Notorious BIG's Sky's the limit, everything seems to come through except his vocals, which are simply not there, save for a very slight washy, unintelligible reverb sound.

I am using a Hot Audio USB1 with them right now, but the problem is not replicated on my Alessandro MS1's. The problem also varies in severity depending on how I wiggled the wire at the end nearest the headphone. So I have ruled out a problem with my source at this point.

Any ideas what the cause of the problem is? I opened up the connector to the headphone, and everything appeared normal to my untrained eye, save for a slight fraying on one of the three wires.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by invisiman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently, my pair of Beyer's have started experiencing an odd kind of signal drop out. Certain frequencies/instruments fail to be produced all together, for example, on Notorious BIG's Sky's the limit, everything seems to come through except his vocals, which are simply not there, save for a very slight washy, unintelligible reverb sound.

I am using a Hot Audio USB1 with them right now, but the problem is not replicated on my Alessandro MS1's. The problem also varies in severity depending on how I wiggled the wire at the end nearest the headphone. So I have ruled out a problem with my source at this point.

Any ideas what the cause of the problem is? I opened up the connector to the headphone, and everything appeared normal to my untrained eye, save for a slight fraying on one of the three wires.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer
smily_headphones1.gif

It sounds like a weird phase problem. Is one of the drivers wired backwards? Based on what you said about wiggling the wire and the problem varying, that would also point to a cabling problem. Like the positive getting switched with the ground, or both phases being mixed at the same time.

I suspect that recabling would fix them, or sending them in for recabling if they are still under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back