Trouble deciding on headphones for use with portable amp
Oct 31, 2009 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SleepingLion

New Head-Fier
I have been lurking here for a bit and have learned a lot, but I still am having trouble deciding on a pair of headphones. Currently I have a pair of Eartools Equation RP-21's which although sound great I will be selling as they squeeze my big head pretty bad. I also will be selling my Sennheiser HD280s as they are way too small as well. I had a pair of Skullcandy's which sounded terrible, but they fit well so I wore them everywhere, anyway I snapped them in half skateboarding the other day but now I want some better equipment.

I have up to $200 to spend, I really can't go any higher. They will be used at home, while walking around town and to school, and while studying in the library. That being said, I listen to quieter music in the library, but I am slightly concerned about leakage. I mostly listen to reggae, hip-hop (smooth and jazzy), and some ragga and dance hall. While studying I listen to jazz and dub music. I like a nice bass (the RP21's have brilliant bass), but balance is more important. I will be building a CMoy Amp in the next two weeks, and eventually I will build a better amp, but I would like to have this pair of headphones for at least a few years before needing to upgrade.

So far I really like the Grado SR60i to the SR225i, but the Alessandro MS1's are my first choice. I know I should be looking at closed models as well for the reduced leakage, but I cant seem to narrow it down. Would the Grado or Alessandro headphones work for me, if not what else should I look at?

Thanks!
-Geoff

Oct 31, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #2 of 3
Don't put the cart before the horse; headphones are the prime decision, amps are chosen to suit them, not the other way round.

Gradossandros are not a good choice for your usage, being library, on the go etc. Look for closed phones or canals for travelling/library and a good pair for home, such as the Grado's if you like them.

Oct 31, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 3
I have a decent pair of earbuds, but I really don't like them. I have had some others as well, but they all were uncomfortable. I am doing more research on closed cans, but I would really appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks,
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back