Trolls and Shills
Sep 22, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #46 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystere9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what it's worth, I certainly appreciated your impression as a prospective buyer. I saw it as one of the few completely unbiased impressions in that thread, and it's one of the main reasons I ended up deciding to buy the AMP3, since it seemed like you thought it compared favorably(especially in its price range). I agree with your point that the whole thread(especially the latter part) is becoming suspicious and this constant shilling(probably) is getting out of hand.

Hey, I missed your post from last night in all the discussion... as it seems to have been predictably dragged over to the amp3 thread too. So I wanted to say thanks for the kind words. I'm glad it was helpful, and that you noticed my attempt at giving both DAP's an unbiased comparison.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #47 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechosen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And is it a crime to be a lurker to finally register to post?

No, but you could have received a more welcome start if you did not rise your voice in the first post.
It is suspicious that someone claim to be a lurker for a long time, but first take the time to register and post when he/she have something to complain about.
popcorn.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #49 of 65
The Power of Love.... Yup, now, I am listening to Celine Dion's 'The Power Love' FLAC, via my main rig.
smily_headphones1.gif

This part is really match to our 'love' to audio .
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

We're heading for something
Somewhere I've never been
Sometimes I am frightened
But I'm ready to learn
Of the power of love

Let's learn from each others, and 'see' new perspectives.

p/s: The Jeniffer Rush's version also very nice.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #51 of 65
Question: Is there a better sounding DAP for $150?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, interesting. Sounds like it could apply to the Sony X thread, the FX500 thread, the C710 thread, the PFE thread, the Amp3 thread ... you get the idea. Plenty of that kind of thinking going around on many products, not just one. When people love something, they might sound like shills. But they just love what they love.

X2

Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly don't know why repeating a stance a second time would cause an issue?

To my recollection, failure to acknowledge 150 hours of burn in was not enough (I know, I know, that's what we were initially told and he stated that), and there could be improvements after more burn in. The hard line in stance to me is what caused the opposition.

For all I know after 600 hours on the AMP3 the X could sound better to cn11. Who cares, one persons opinion, and I am sure the X sounds great. But at least it would be an informed addition to the thread. Kinda like someone with 24 hours on an IE8 saying it really sucks and is muddy repeating that stance often (and I know, that is enough burn in for some, but apparently not the majority). Repeat for the C710, other IEMs, amps, etc.

EDIT: yes, another excellent post by bakhtiar!

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #52 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And there are functionality/firmware issues, as most owners agree. But in time, the hope is they will be straightened out.

When i was interested in AMP3, i've asked why're they developing that firmware if they could just port rockbox onto it. Nobody answered.

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #53 of 65
Yeah, I don't think that's going to happen. But I can't speak for anyone official. Who knows though? Maybe some day they will. I have no idea. It's been a busy topic. The newest box, the Pro2 (different shape, updated firmware) will go out next, so maybe it will not have the same issues as Amp3 P1. If you haven't, check the Amp3 thread for Rockbox posts.

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #54 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm afraid I agree with the OP on this one. Just look at the DAP/PMP elimination game thread - it went downhill after a dozen or so brand new accounts started relentlessly upvoting the Amp3, all with identical reasoning and poor grammar. Its nice to assume that all hi-fi manufacturers play fair, but lately, I'm not so sure.

You might say it's the hive mind fotm effect, but then it comes down to people recommending/promoting gear they have not heard, which also grinds my gears.

Funny, I had the same thought cross my mind. I would like to believe it's all different people but I'm not so sure.

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #55 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Power of Love
Let's learn from each others, and 'see' new perspectives.

How about Laura Branigan's version? *wink wink nudge nudge*

The problem with 'new' perspectives is that, during the last 10-15 years of human history, we have often been TOO kind and TOO open. That resulted in a lot of confusion and chaos, I don't think that can be denied.

Speaking from my own experiences, I believe that at some point we should all put our feet down, lay down the law, and say enough is enough.

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #56 of 65
Theres no absolute way of drawing a destinction between a fanboy and a shill unless the shilling goes beyond the rules which govern use of the forum (Mr Stanley Beresford, the DAC peddling BS merchant would be the biggest recent example of such a dishonest manipulative oily and incideous cad).

Just be wary of any fervent fanboys, and try to make sure that they can quantify their repeated broadcasts. If you think they're talking BS, put them on yoru ignore list (what a glorious feature that is) and if you come into concord with them or come to a proper understanding, then fine.

As for trolls, don't feed them, use the post report function and let the mods deal with it. Unless theyre one of the not-troll by normal troll standards trolls, in which case I say take them on. -username deleted- *cough*.

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #57 of 65
Quote:

The problem with 'new' perspectives is that, during the last 10-15 years of human history, we have often been TOO kind and TOO open. That resulted in a lot of confusion and chaos, I don't think that can be denied.

Speaking from my own experiences, I believe that at some point we should all put our feet down, lay down the law, and say enough is enough.

"Sometimes people open their minds too much and their brains fall out"

That said 'putting your foot down' and 'laying down the law' is as anti-intellectual as accepting everything no matter how ridiculous it is. Scientific Method and criticisms of one's own tests would be extremely beneficial to many posters.

I want to elaborate, but I don't think this kind of community accepts criticism very well.

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #58 of 65
Agreed (on the anti-intellectual nature of doing those things) :p

And perhaps we all need to be willing to NOT defend our favorites sometimes; it makes no sense to favor or defend businesses cause we are in fact never their core interest. They need volume to stay in the business, and the finer points you and I hold dear tend to be inconsequential to the things that generate volume. After some pretty ugly moments of truth this year, I feel it's best to judge everything one model at a time, with no past and no future.

Head-Fi continues to be a very nice forum because it's filled with a lot of really good ears. There tend to be a lot of great reviews and opinions around here, even if I may not have reached that level of comprehension a few years ago, they tend to make sense over time, waiting for me to finally catch up, and I'm grateful for that.

Sep 23, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #59 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks don't mean too much in audio tbh ---->
floatsmile.png

i wasn't talking about audio, clearly. if you're going to reply to something i say, think about it first. the amp3 looks like it was a cheap knock off from the early 90's.

don't reply to this one, do me a favor.

Sep 23, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #60 of 65
Nice response. I'll reply.

Now who is misinterpreting a post? Chinesekiwi's point was in audio the looks (as in design) of a piece of gear can be deceiving in terms of performance. The Amp3 is an audio product, therefore in this case looks/design (square, sharp edges, small screen) are deceiving. So he didn't literally mean audio, as in sound, but used the term to encompass the entire world of audio. Am I right, Chinesekiwi?

And a cheap knockoff of what product in the early 1990s? Just curious. I don't remember anything that remotely looked like the Amp3 in the 1990s, thank god.

Still trying to decipher your comment that of course the Amp3 was "shilled" (a new verb?), just look at the the state it's in? It's a ugly player, agreed. But that means there is shilling going on? If not, no one would buy it?

There may be shills among the Amp3 fan base, but doubtful it's got any connection with the thing's looks/design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back