Tritton AX Pro surround sound amplifier compared to mixamp?
Nov 30, 2010 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jbroad572

500+ Head-Fier
How do these compare? Does anyone have any experience? I was in the market for a mixamp, but there is a Tritton Pro set on craigslist locally for $100. I was reading the ampl was pretty good, but can't be found separately. At that price point, is it worth it to get and use in place of the mixamp? If so, I'm going to make him an offer and eliminate the mixamp from my setup, naturally and just look for a decent set of cans. Currently have my eye on the HFI780 or DT880's. Any experiences?

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 6
The Tritoon Ax Pros amp only works for 5.1 headsets like the AX Pros, and possibly the HPA2. It's not an amp that works with typical stereo headphones/headsets.

If you take opinions on the matter, I HATED the AX Pros, and love my Mixamp.

Had the DT880s with the Mixamp. Great combo though you may wanna use the Mixamp as a pre-amp to a real amp, as the 880s need a bit more juice when adding voice chat.

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 6
Dang... way to just ruin my excitement, lol. But thanks.. guess I'll have to reconsider. I was thinking it was similar to the mixamp in that I could use them with a regular pair of headphones. Bah!

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 6
If I can get him down on the price I still might go for it. I just had the TB PX21's and was pretty impressed with them on Black Ops so for the price why not get the AX Pro's. Maybe I'll be able to do a trade or something later. Ah well.

Nov 30, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 6
if it is a complete set of axpro, meaning the decoder box and the headphones for 100 go for it.

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 6
As was stated above, you can not use the Axpro's Dolby decoder box with a stereo headset.  You must have a 5.1 headset or a headphone with the 9pin connector.  Only Tritton and Turtle Beach use this.

If you have the Turtle Beach PX21, then there's no need for you to even get a MixAmp.  Instead, get the DSS from Turtle Beach:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5ol0U94Ubg

Basically, the DSS is a Dolby decoder just like the MixAmp--both of which are not as restrictive as the Tritton decoder.  The DSS and MixAmp are made to be used with stereo headsets and will provide more pinpoint surround sound positioning due to the HRTF algorithms that are used to provide depth perception.  Though the Tritton Axpro has surround sound, you can not tell how far away sounds are coming from due to it's 1990's design.  Dolby Headphone is much more cutting edge, so definitely stick with the DSS or MixAmp as your processor of choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back