"Tritton AX Pro" for gaming? (5.1 surround headsets)
Feb 23, 2010 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

crac69

New Head-Fier
TRITTON Technologies Inc. :: AX Pro

Hi! I'm planning to buy those, but don't know what soundcard i need for those, do i need genuine 5.1-7.1 soundcard? If, i have Terratec Aureon 5.1 external USB soundcard, so is this OK card to drive those Headsets, or do i need something "better" like Auzentech FORTE 7.1 or BRAVURA 7.1 soundcard, is there any diffirence anyways?

Second question: Do i need AMPLIFIER (and what is good?) with those headsets too, or not?

* PLEASE NOTE: Headsets and possible soundcard will come 100% for GAMES only, nothing else!
smile_phones.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 16
TOSLINK out from your Terratec to the Tritton 'dongle' will work perfectly. Just get a small TOSLINK to TOSLINK cable, and you don't have to buy another thing. The headset has it's own amp.

Feb 24, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they are bad.

I quite liked them for gaming. Sorry they aren't extravagant.

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they are bad.

Compared to good headphones. Yes sir.
Not to mention their bad quality control.

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 16
I have them!
They do their job; they get you noise. But in no way do you get surround sound; at most you are able to tell whether the noise is from the left or the right (which you can do with normal headphones).
Since I've gotten my Yamaha receiver for surround capabilities on my hifi headphones; directional wise, they were just as bad.
But sound wise, with my ESW10. Footsteps in games will sound so real and beautiful that you'll shed a tear. xD
You'll notice a very big ambient white noise with the Trittons. This is what greatly interferes with noises like footsteps; although I hadn't noticed till I got the Yamaha receiver. You'll find that they have a very 'airy' sound to them.

The trittons will give you a headache, for how loud they need to go.
For their value though, they are very very very worth it.
The only advantage my Yamaha receiver gives is no white noise; and thus less of a headache since I can listen at lower levels.

A good alternative is jsut using CMS-3D from the soundcards you are thinking of. My X-fi card does just as bad/good a job as the Trittons/Yamaha (in terms of directional sound). Believe me, the Trittons do not give you surround directional sound. The only good thing they DO do. is that it is nice when it uses a separate speaker inside for a video games ambient noises, like a caves water running, since you can individually lower the volume on that.

I'll repeat it though, if money is your concern, these are definitely worth their value. Since you can get noise from your dolby player whether a console or a computer. But if you are willing to save up longer, just get better headphones and use the soundcard's 3d features, for computer; and for a consoles, get a yamaha receiver.

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #8 of 16
Thanks for replies!
smile_phones.gif

Well i need to think that Tritton-set second time then :p Not sound so promising afterall... Well i don't have space for 5.1 amp, only for headphone amp, and headphones will come ONLY for PC-playing.. (no consoles)

I have also already EDIROL UA-25 USB soundcard with Phones connector, but can't get them work singly... I mean i hear voice same time on Headphones and Speakers same time, and it sucks... (dunno what i need to do to use those singly)

I think i will consider afterall many peoples favorites for PC-GAMING headphones; Audio Technica AD700 or Beyerdynamic DT770... Well i think i need true X-FI audiocard with full EAX support afterall for those anyways? Edirol UA-25 USB doesn't have any EAX supports, it's shame.

Hmm do i kick ass with set like; Beyerdynamic DT770 + Auzentech BRAVURA 7.1 ?
atsmile.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by crac69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
atsmile.gif

How much does that cost? Sound slike an expensive sound card.
If it was me and only for PC gaming I would go the cheap route and get the cheapest X-fi and the AD700.
If you want to spend more money then still a cheap X_fi card and the DT880 plus an extra amp to drive them.

When I say cheap X-fi I mean something under $100 like the xtremegamer.

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 16
I just got a refurb Forte and after getting it a little more isolated from the case, I'm loving it so far. It's got the X-Fi part to it for your 3d gaming pleasure, and also has a headphone amp and accessible op-amps of you feel like rolling them. It was a nice neat solution for me, but YMMV. I honestly haven't had much of a chance to put it through its gaming paces yet though.

For me it was worthwhile also because I use the digital out on the card to feed my home theater receiver, but plan to eventually phase that out with a new video card w/ HDMI set up.

Feb 25, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by crac69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

atsmile.gif

Yes, you kick very much ass with that setup.

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #12 of 16
Most that have tried both:
1. Gaming card with a surround headphones
2. Gaming card with stereo headphoens and 3d Virtual surround

Always seem to prefer option 2. For gaming right now the Bravura 7.1 seems like the card to have for pure sound quality while gaming. You have a headphone amplifier and a replacable opamp to help tune to your personal taste.
Hope this helps.

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most that have tried both:
1. Gaming card with a surround headphones
2. Gaming card with stereo headphoens and 3d Virtual surround

Always seem to prefer option 2

Dollar for dollar stereo headphones will always be better than those so called "5.1" headphones.

Feb 26, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by NumLock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dollar for dollar stereo headphones will always be better than those so called "5.1" headphones.

Well yes, that is what I just said.
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well yes, that is what I just said.
biggrin.gif

I know, I was agreeing with you in case the OP or anyone else needed a second opinion on your comment.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back