Tritone Paradox
Sep 13, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 9
I voted option 1, but then it suddenly switched on me after listening to 160hz for awhile, stopping, and starting it again. Then I switched to 110hz and it was also switched! Then I waited awhile and listened to 110hz again and it switched back again! Very peculiar.

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 9
And here's one for your eyes:

optical-illusion-wheels-circles-rotating.png

Note: that image is NOT moving!

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 9
The applet is very poorly written... it's hard to do the test when the tones won't play in the same order each time... I actually can't even get the applet to close without using the task manager.

But I feel confident choosing option 2.

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 9
Option 3 sounds right to me and my roommate. Now that I read the explanation, though, I see what they did (with the octaves on the first note surrounding the other note) and it is a very interesting trick. Now that I hear both octaves, obviously I realize it is irrelevant which is higher.

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #6 of 9
Yeah, the applet is a bit goofy. And for the record, it closes when you close its parent window.

There is a label in the upper left that tells you which tone is playing at the time.

Different people hear this differently. The odd thing is, it's consistent in that I will tend to hear it the same way today and tomorrow, but it may be the opposite in another person. I read somewhere that people tend to hear it one way in America, but most people hear it the other way in some other countries, and one theory is that it has to do with the language you were exposed to as a young child (such as whether it was a tonal language).

Lots of work to be done in this area, understanding how the brain processes data.

Sep 14, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 9
I refused to believe that one until I went into paint and actually cropped a piece of each square out. I was absolutely positively dumbfounded. I still can't see them anywhere close to each other no matter how hard I try.

Sep 15, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 9
interesting..
tone 2 was higher for both of them for me

but I hear more bass in tone 2 at 160Hz.

haha u never know what those comp sci guys are up to XD

(I go to UBC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back