tripped over headphone cable, hurt amp
Dec 20, 2006 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

binkgle

500+ Head-Fier
So, I was going down to dinner a few hours ago, and as I got up from the computer I tripped over the headphone cable that had fallen off the desk and by my feet. the cable and headphones (akg k240s) are fine, but i hurt the neutrik 1/8" plug plugged into the xin supermini-III (connects to soundcard), which is replaceable, and i also broke off a part of the jack that this cable plugs into on the amp. the setup still works fine, provided i have the interconnect correctly positioned in the jack (amp is upside down now), but i'm scared that next time i trip (this has happened a few times now) i'll hurt the setup even more.

as i've been considering sending the amp back to dr. xin to get it upgraded to sm-IV levels, i'll probably send it in sooner rather than later now (tomorrow or day after, probably), and deal with onboard/ipod sound until it comes back. will xin cover the repair cost as well as the upgrade, or will i have to pay extra for the repairs?

where do i send the amp? who should i contact about this?

thanks,
binkgle

edit: considering the long wait time for xin products at the moment, would you suggest that i get a different amp? i use the akg k240s and im716s all the time with my av710 soundcard (i may be getting an alien dac soon, or some other better-than-an-av710-and-probably-usb-using dac soon). govibe? i would prefer to spend less than $100 if possible. cana govibe at all measure up to the more expensive supermini-III?

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 4
The Super Mini IV should be about the best. The contact info and mailing address is on Xin's site. Use his email address to email him about the problem and need to send it back. The jack can either be cleared of the broken part or replaced. I don't know if Xin would charge, most places would and this is understandable as it is not a warranty issue. Xin has been very generous.

You can get a Little Dot Micro + headphone amp that would work fine and is cheap or the one you mentioned. It is always nice to have two or more amps anyway in cases just like this.

good luck.

Dec 20, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 4
any other recommendations amp-wise? i'll probably just send the supermini back and get the works done, but i'd like to make sure that's the best decision i could make...

Dec 25, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 4
My cat "jumped" across the room knocking one of my Proac 2.5 speakers onto my Mark Levinson 333 amp....you think you got problems? That speaker costs me $5000 back in the day
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back