Tripp Lite products?
Jul 22, 2006 at 7:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

daba

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

Anyone heard of Tripp Lite products, or use them for that matter? I found that their prices are well within reason ($50-$100) for their Isobar surge protection and filtering. They seem solid and the scarce reviews on Amazon turn out pretty well.

Jul 22, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 7
I don't know if my experience/knowledge will help, since it's all in the UPS products.

TrippLite is well known for their UPS products. In that space you inevitably get comparisons with APC, which makes top of the line, very reliable UPSes. At some point, TrippLite started shipping UPS drivers for linux, which brought them a lot of business, and is what made me buy their UPS. At first, a lot of people were wary of TrippLite because their products are not top of the line. I think they've proven themselves, as long as you keep in mind that they *are* in fact *not* making top of the line stuff. Their prices are accordingly attractive.

For comparison, their ratings aren't the same as APC. The same power handling capability rated at 650VA by APC would be rated about 1000VA by Tripplite. Also, my TrippLite UPS usually run hot, which is probably because of their smaller case, lighter weight, smaller parts, etc.

To sum up my personal opinion, I'd buy their products, but only if I didn't mind settling for less than top quality. I'd also be careful to derate their specifications. Where money is the overriding concern, their products are certainly not junk. And there's plenty of junk out there.

Jul 25, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #4 of 7
Supposedly the Monster 3500/3600 products don't correct faulty line voltages, but the Tripp Lite LC1200/1800/2400 line conditioners do. I'm thinking about getting a Tripp Lite LC1800 or 2400.

Edit: Actually, the Tripp Lite SMART1200LCD seems to be the best choice for all in one surge surpression, line conditioning, and battery backup. It has an output wattage of 1200VA/700W, 8 plugs (4 connected to the battery, 4 not), and voltage correction from ~85V to ~150V. I'm probably going to get this, since line conditioners don't necessarily have surge protection/surpression.

Jul 27, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 7
I bought a TrippLite Isobar for the upstairs HT to replace a Brickwall (which costs 3 times as much and has one-third the outlets!) surge protector/power conditioner. There was an immediate improvement in conditioning, as a ground loop hum from one of my amps that was unconquerable in the past after many attempts cleared up for good!

Based on this alone, I would highly recommend their products.

Jul 27, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
Supposedly the Monster 3500/3600 products don't correct faulty line voltages, but the Tripp Lite LC1200/1800/2400 line conditioners do. I'm thinking about getting a Tripp Lite LC1800 or 2400.

Edit: Actually, the Tripp Lite SMART1200LCD seems to be the best choice for all in one surge surpression, line conditioning, and battery backup. It has an output wattage of 1200VA/700W, 8 plugs (4 connected to the battery, 4 not), and voltage correction from ~85V to ~150V. I'm probably going to get this, since line conditioners don't necessarily have surge protection/surpression.

Be careful with the rating. I'd feel more comfortable using that with no more than a 6A current draw, and would prefer to keep it down to 5A. Reasoning: 1200VA/150V = 8A, then derate that by probably 30%, giving 5-6A. At 5A, this is really only a 600VA product if rated properly, which no consumer company does. Even APC's spec needs to be derated, although they have better parts inside to back up a bit of pushing. This is all just a guess based on what I've looked at in the past.

Jul 29, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #7 of 7
Like SiBurning said, Tripp Lite makes solid products.

I have two of their 5kVA isolation transformers and two of the LC2400 line conditioners at work for industrial applications that run at least 10 hours per day, and they have worked very well for the past 1.5 year.

I bought them at provantage.com. Pretty good price and fast delivery, if you're interested in checking this place out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back