TripleFi.10s didn't do it for me, going cheaper
Dec 29, 2009 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Kenix

100+ Head-Fier
I got in on the Amazon deal for the UE TripleFi.10s a couple weeks ago and only just found the chance to try them out today. Overall I have to say they are very unimpressive. Some things I noticed..

- Mid range is decent
- Comfortable enough
- Bass is muddy and bloated
- Separation is amazing. I can definitely hear instruments in the background that I've never noticed before.
- Soundstage is very good, especially horizontal.
- Balance seemed a little off, everything sounded like it was coming from slightly behind and to the left.

If I had to sum up my impression of the TF10s' SQ, I'd say it sounds "stale". Even compared to my Sennheisers, they were lacking in color, speed, and fun. I considered giving up on IEMs and sticking with headphones, but wanted to get a second opinion first.

At the moment I'm considering MEElectronics Ai-M6s, RE2s, or even JVC FX33 marshmallows to try. The way I figure it, if the toted best universal canalphones were dreadful to me, maybe it's time to go back to budget phones. Otherwise, it'll be a pair of ATH-ES7s next.

Oh yeah, what I'm after is something to leave in my laptop bag for trips to the library, so my current open dynamic phones are out. If anyone has experience with the M6, RE2, marshmallows, and ES7s, please advise which would be suitable considering I hated the TF10s (which will be going on sale/trade in a few weeks). Lastly, comments on build quality and durability would be great too, as my laptop bag is often a warzone
biggrin.gif
I've already eliminated the Yuin PK3 for that reason..Thanks!

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 27
Muddy and bloated bass is not how I would describe the sound at all. They may take some time to get used to.
I just dont uderstand how you say very unimpressive and also say the "Separation is amazing" and "Soundstage is very good".

Dec 29, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #4 of 27
duplicate. see below

Dec 29, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #5 of 27
The bass does take some getting used to that's for sure. I can't decide if it's unnatural or not though.

Balance issue sounds like a fit or connection problem to me. And that should mess up the staging too so if you liked the staging how could it have bad L/R balance?

Dec 29, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #6 of 27
I have esw9 headphones which I consider a notch up from the ES7. It doesn't work very well for isolation, esp compared to the Triple-fi10. Sonically I usually go for a larger HP but the Triple-fi is hard to beat. With my Lisa lll, the esw9 beats the Triple-fi with a pico probably.

The only way up as for an iep that I would go is to the JH13. Don't know if you can get much better with an iep unless going custom. If you think that the Triple-fis don't control the bass, then I can't imagine going with the ES7. Those HPs have way less bass control.

Dec 29, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #7 of 27
I would play with all your tips and possibly try a different brand like the Sony Hybrid tips as it seems like you may having fit issues making the sound off.

Dec 29, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #8 of 27
Thanks for the replies everyone, I guess I should clarify some things.

1. I found the soundstage and separation good, but that was only to be expected. The reason I am unimpressed is that the TF10s only managed to meet my expectations in those two areas and absolutely failed all others save maybe comfort.

2. As for staging vs. L/R balance, I meant to say that the soundstage is wide, but not necessarily accurate. I suspected this was a fit or connection issue though.

Right now I'm hardly considering keeping these. For what the TripleFi 10s are toted to be, I want either total satisfaction or none at all. On a side note, I think the answer here may be to shy away from IEMs in general. I can't stand the cable thump and constant hum from the flanges moving around ever so slightly in the ear canal. You guys are probably going to say that's a fit issue and I should look into new tips, but for what it's worth, I can't be bothered tweaking and retweaking the "best" universal IEMs on the market to get the same level of satisfaction I normally get from $30 PX100s.

For reference, I run HD555s and PX100s straight out of a Dell laptop and am quite happy with the sound. I tested the Triple Fi 10s sans-burn in straight out of a 1st gen nano. I guess the real question I wanted to ask is what I can expect out of the alternatives I listed (M6, RE2, FX33, ES7) considering I'm quite happy with PX100s
icon10.gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #9 of 27
All I can say is if you're willing to give up on these after one day, then it's probably better off to give them to someone else.

The "learning curve" on these IEMs is extraordinarily high. They take patience and more than likely many hours of trying different tip combinations and insertion methods before you find the one that really works for your ear.

Have you tried the complys?
Have you tried Sony Hybrid tips?
Have you tried the flip mod?
Have you tried the Ety insertion method?

If you're not happy with them I understand, but my experience with the Triple.Fi's so far is that they're willing to reward the person with perseverance.

Dec 29, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #10 of 27
I actually like the PX100s, used them often in the past and have bought my wife two pairs now. I think they are one of the best inexpensive HPs and have suggested them when asked by friends. The only problem is no isolation at all when you are out and about.

As far as iems go, I have the problem about walking with them. My foot steps are soooo loud in my ears that I can't enjoy the music. So unless I am sitting in a noisy environment, I just end up using the esw9s. So even though i like the Triplefis I rarely end up using them.

If you are in an envrionment that is not too noisy, the PX100s are a good choice.

Edit-I use Comply's when using the Triple-fis and they work very well for me.

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #11 of 27
hmmm, you may be right about prefering headphones versus IEM's for yourself. If you like the PX100's alot I would suggest simply going to HD238. ES7 sound nice but being closed they may be to sloppy in the bass for you and they are not the most comfortable headphone. If you want try an AT headphone you might want to try their new portable open phone ATH-EP700 (write a nice review if you do as nobody else has yet
wink.gif
)

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #12 of 27
I tried the complys, the ety insertion method, and the flip method, with negligible difference from all three. I think bjaardker is right, I'm just not cut out to enjoy these beauties
redface.gif
Cable thump is practically a deal breaker on its own, I mean what's the point of good music if you can't move to it
L3000.gif

Just looked into the HD238s and the Ath-EP700 and both seem like good choices, but the two biggest reasons I chose the ES7 are for the closed dynamic and the sleek looks. TBH, the HD238 and EP700s look rather plain jane next to the ES7s. What can I say, I'm young, impatient, and aesthetically motivated
icon10.gif
Thanks for all the input guys!

Dec 29, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #13 of 27
LOL there is also the HD228 which are closed. The ES7 are definitely shiny and look very nice the comfort issue may bite you though especially if you wear glasses. There is also the JBL Reference 410 Headphone which may do the trick for you. If you live in Canada I have seen this HP at Walmart for $30CAN which is an absolute steal compared to what most places and online sites sell these for.

Dec 29, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #14 of 27
"What can I say, I'm young, impatient, and aesthetically motivated
icon10.gif
Thanks for all the input guys!"

I share two of those qualities with you. The TF10's aren't for everyone. They are for me.

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 27
Well, No phone/IEM is going to satisfy everyone.

But had the $99 sale never happened their are a lot of folks (myself included) that would never have tried the TF10's. At least the OP gave them a chance.

BTW...I've seen very little comments about amping these. Would anyone mind posting some thoughts about the TF10's amped Vs unamped?

I'll start us off. My TF10's are nice when driven out of my little iPod Shuffle, but when I run them from my home rig, they are spectacular. If it were possible to get half of the sonic benefits of my home rig in a portable amp I'd do it in a heartbeat. I just don't want to waste money trying portable amps, only to be let down. I'm looking at the Ibasso T3D. From all reports it's a damn fine amp that compares well with much pricier amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back