Triple flange just hurt my ear
Jan 18, 2007 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

pelayostyle

100+ Head-Fier
Im bored at work right now and have some time to kill so i decide to play with the tips on my e4s. I just installed the triple flanges on and cut the stem to sit flush with the last flange. I put them in my ear and noticed how well they slid into my ear canal. It was a little wierd at first feeling it slide in so deep.
Anyways, I had them on for about 2 hours and went to take them out...... the left side came out and i could feel the suction, then the right....... OMG! THE PAIN!. I had to pull and wiggle it for it to come out and it hurt sooo bad. I gave it 30 min and i tried to put it in again but the pain is just so bad now. I work at a hospital and im seriously walking over to see a dr. and have him look at my ear. I now feel a burning pain and the inside of my ear feels swollen =(

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 35
well I know it takes some getting used to... but that doesn't sound healthy at all. Let us know how you make out!

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 35
lol I had a similar (but less severe) experience when I got the ety er-6i's a mth ago. The tri-flanges cause marks in my ears and some soreness, so I make sure to swap them out for my px100's after ~4hrs.

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 35
Ok so i just walked back from seeing a dr. and he stuck his otoscope(spelling?) into my ear then looked at my e4s and lauged at me. He said my eardrum is a little irritated and caused no permanent damage. He said that the pressure of the compressed air caused by the seal irritated the eardrum , just like your eye would be irritated if you were pushing on it for a long period of time. So basically the tri flanges are going in the trash ....

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 35
I can't use tri-flanges. I think I must have really shallow ear canals. I don't have a pair of IEMs (although I do have a pair of Vibes coming soon in the mail
smily_headphones1.gif
) but I did get the Etymotic hands-free adapter for my cell phone. I tried both of the tri-flange tips it came with but I couldn't get them in my ear deep enough to form a seal and was paranoid about pushing it too far in. The bi-flange tip works great, though, so maybe you should try those if you have them.

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 35
Not to thread hijack... but how do you make bi-flanges exactly? Triflanges just sound horrible to me for some reason, so before I toss them, I want to try out some bi-flanges!

Jan 18, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #8 of 35
I prefer foamies, myself. They're squishy. And they sound great and isloate fantastically. Plus, they're squishy.

Did I mention that they're squishy?

Jan 18, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #11 of 35
I just wondered what Tempur-Pedic foamies might sound like.

That stuff is wonderfully squishy.

Jan 19, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicomte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wondered what Tempur-Pedic foamies might sound like.

That stuff is wonderfully squishy.

You should get a sample of that and mod it to fit good. That is a hell-of good Idea.

Jan 19, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #15 of 35
this thread is why I went from IEMs to cans.... i kept thinking about the "dont stick the Q-tip in your ear!" advice....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back