triple-flange for the Shure E3
Mar 17, 2004 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

otprof

100+ Head-Fier
[search disabled
frown.gif
]

I'm just about to order my E3s, and thought I would ask for opinions on the triple-flanges. Should I toss in a pair, or wait and see how the others work?

The Shure site says that they have a tighter fit, but what I've read seems to suggest that the E3s are fairly tight to begin with.

By the way, I've missed out on two used pairs here at Head-fi, one by 15 minutes and one by 5 minutes. I guess there's nothing wrong with getting a new pair.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Mar 17, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 3
I never tried them with my old E3c's, but the tri-flanges are my sleeves of choice with the E5's.

Mar 17, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #3 of 3
hey otprof, i'm glad you decided to finally purchase some e3's. there's definitely nothing wrong with a new pair. i hope your experience with them is a positive one. sorry i couldn't sell you mine.

He missed my e3's by 15 minutes.

Right before i sold my e3's, my triflanges arrived. As a parting gesture to my e3's i tried them out for a bit with the triflanges...

First of all, anyone that can fit the triflanges in their ears without trimming the stalk flush with the largest flange has cave ears. The sound at first, without any trimming was absolutely horrible. It sounded almost as if i was under water, compared to the foams (my favorite choice with the e3's.) As i trimmed the stalk progressively, I ultimately ended up with the stalk flush with the biggest flange, the sound opened up quite a bit. It fit well and was relatively comfortable too. Still, I feel the foams sound best to my ears with the e3's for bass and overall smoothness. Isolation clearly goes to the foams by quite a large margin. This is due to the difference in material of the foams and triflanges.

Another thing is that the triflanges go deepest into your ears out of all the tips, and because of this they also double as q-tips. I pulled these things out of my ears and was amazed at how grimy they were. And i clean my ears every day. So make sure your ears are VERY clean before inserting the triflanges.

I don't mean to shy you away from the triflanges, but this is my experience with them.

Good luck with your purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back