Triple Flange for E3c?
Feb 19, 2005 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nweiss

New Head-Fier
I just got the triple flange tips for my E3's, and they are definitely more comforable than any of the included tips, to me anyway. However, they seem awfully long, as in the center tube is about twice as long as the 'phone's output tube. Is this the way they are supposed to be? Or should I shorten the stem to what would seem to be a more appropriate length? Has anyone used these on the E3? What was your opinion? I mean, these things are easily twice as long as any of the tips that came with these 'phones!
Any input here?

Feb 19, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #2 of 11
I've posted this before, but here's how I modded my tri-flanges...

Quote:

For anyone who has pickd up Shure's PA755 triple flange sleeves for their E3's or E5's, and found the resulting sound too muted/dead/distant, here's something I tried the other day. Reference the drawing below

I started by cutting off half of the exposed 'stem' (1st Cut), as I felt that getting the transducer closer to my ears would help the sound quality. Bingo, instant improvement, although they still paled in comparison to the foamies, sound (and comfort)-wise. That got me thinking... maybe moving it even closer would net another improvement. Worst-case, I would be out $9.49 (cost of the flanges) for the experiment. I made cut #2, down to the level of the third flange. Sure enough, another big leap in sound quality, so I cut them again, this time down to the inner wall of the third flange (3rd Cut). Sounded even better, though I couldn't seem to get a good enough seal without the first (smallest) flange bumping into my ear canal. So, figuring that having gone this far, I might as well go all the way, I cut off the first flange, and killed 2 birds with one stone. Removed the protrusion that was getting too friendly with my ear's sensitive bits, and moved the transducers even closer in.

SUCCESS!! The tip of the transducer housing comes right to the end of the 2nd (now 1st) flange (just like the foamies...), there is no more interference when I insert deep enough for a good seal, and the sound is now within 10% of the foams. Perfect? No, I'll still use the yellow foam jobs when sound/isolation is really critical, but the triple... uh... double flanges are so much easier to insert/remove/wash...

If you're going to toss your triple flanges anyway, you might give this a try. NOTE: YMMV

attachment.php

Feb 19, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 11
I've tried a few different configs as well, and found the best comfort and quality with cut #2. This left me a 5mm stem. Shorter didn't wear well. With cut #3, they lost their seal after about a month, and going from 3 to 2 flanges made them uncomfortable.

Good Luck...

Feb 19, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 11
Right, one bit at a time is the way to go. Cut only as much as needed to get the sound and fit you like. For me it was all the way, but YMMV
etysmile.gif
Best of luck to you.

Feb 19, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 11
Well, I'll put in my usual plug here: get the Ety tri-flanges instead of the Shure ones. The Ety has a shorter stem -- it's rougly equivalent to cut #2 as described above (maybe a tiny bit shorter), works great with the E3, and it's much cheaper. From iDealSound (one of the Head-Fi sponsors, see link at the top), you can get 5 pairs for $15 shipped, so that gives you some spares to experiment with.

I use the Ety tri-flanges completely unmodified, and they work great. I think the problem with the Shure tri-flange is that it's designed for the E5, which has a longer sound tube.

Feb 20, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 11
i am also using the Ety triflange with my Shure E3s and am very happy with the sound and isolation. Still like my ER4Ps better, but I find myself switching back and forth for variation.

Apr 4, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
Well, I'll put in my usual plug here: get the Ety tri-flanges instead of the Shure ones. The Ety has a shorter stem -- it's rougly equivalent to cut #2 as described above (maybe a tiny bit shorter), works great with the E3, and it's much cheaper. From iDealSound (one of the Head-Fi sponsors, see link at the top), you can get 5 pairs for $15 shipped, so that gives you some spares to experiment with.

I use the Ety tri-flanges completely unmodified, and they work great. I think the problem with the Shure tri-flange is that it's designed for the E5, which has a longer sound tube.

I noticed that the 5-pair pack from Idealsound says they are white rubber...I thought they were supposed to be silicon tips? Are these made of a different material, or did Idealsound just not describe them correctly on their Ebay auction? (see below):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...95581&tc=photo

Apr 5, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
I noticed that the 5-pair pack from Idealsound says they are white rubber...I thought they were supposed to be silicon tips? Are these made of a different material, or did Idealsound just not describe them correctly on their Ebay auction?

I also prefer the Ety tips with my E3s and just got my order from Idealsound a week or so ago. As far as I can tell, they are the exact same tip as the original. I was a bit surprised at how much my old tips had darkened from use but the material seemed to be the same.

Here's a bad pic of my modified Etys. Just the smallest tip has been cut off. They just seem to fit the E3s better, IMO. Because my ear canals seem to be kind of small, I have to cut that last tip off otherwise they bend around in my ear and cut off the sound.

Apr 5, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #10 of 11
I use modified ety triflanges (to biflanges, sans the smallest flange) on my um2's. I find the comfort and ease of insertion great, and it also brings out the treble in them. I've found that I can pull the tip slighly out, towards the edge of the tube, simulating a longer stem. They (surprisingly) stay there, despite inserting and removing them normally. The stem on the ety tips is a little too short, imo (though not by much).

Dec 16, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #11 of 11
Sorry for resurrecting this thread folks, but I have a question.

Would it be beneficial for me to cut off the largest flange rather than the smallest one at the tip? My ear canals seem to be in the realm between the small and medium sizes, and I don't know how well my ears could take the 2 larger ones over the 2 smaller ones.

What sizes do you modders use on your other tips?

-----
EDIT: Nevermind, impatience got the best of me, and I hacked off the smallest flange
wink.gif
. So now I have the 2nd cut and the removed small flange. Sounds great!

Now, dare I make the 3rd cut?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back