Triple.fi unamped?
Mar 23, 2008 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

leftnose

1000+ Head-Fier
Even though I have two good portable amps that I enjoy and appreciate, when I am on long trips, I prefer not to carry an amp for convenience's sake. I have recently started a new job which requires me to travel much more. I just returned from a three week trip to Asia and will be traveling to the middle east in May.

During this past trip, I used my super.fi 5 pros unamped out of my iPod Classic. I quite enjoyed the sound quality given the source. However, I am thinking about a pair of Triple.fis. How will they sound out of an unamped iPod Classic? Do they really need an amp to sound their best? If so, how much would I be missing without an amp?

I may purchase them any way to use in my daily portable system which includes a Tomahawk or Headsix and use the 5 pros on the long trips.

Your input is appreciated.

Mar 23, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 15
You aren't missing anything crucial. Just buy 'em and enjoy them straight from the jack.
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 15
low impedence = no amp

Mar 23, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 15
I have used the TF10 straight out of my iPods headphone jack and they are great. I am satisfied to use them if I need to be ultra portable out of the H/O. But I still prefer the added body my amp brings to the table!

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have used the TF10 straight out of my iPods headphone jack and they are great. I am satisfied to use them if I need to be ultra portable out of the H/O. But I still prefer the added body my amp brings to the table!

x2

i usually listen to the tf10s with an amp. but when i would prefer or have to have the bare minimum, tf10s straight out of the dap works well too.

Mar 24, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 15
My TF10 pro sound very good right out the Ipod classic 80G. No amp for me.

Mar 24, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 15
I listen to my Triple.fis when travelling with no amp out of my iPhone. When I push them at home with my Woo Audio WA6 there's an incremental improvement, but it's not earthshattering. They're very enjoyable straight out of the iPhone.

Dave

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 15
agreed, even though the bass is very much different when amped by my predator... Sometimes I am just too lazy to bring the amp alongside. The TF10 sounds perfectly fine~

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 15
I got tf 10 too. it works great on the IPC Although I am going to sell it. tf 10 has low impedance only 32. Playing with protable amp wouldn't bring you much more surprise.

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #13 of 15
I listen to them straight out of my iPod. Great sound. The thing that impresses me most about these things is that their bass is very punchy and powerful without being boomy or resonating. Very realistic...

Mar 24, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #14 of 15
True, I don't "need" an amp with my TF's, but the truth is that music sounds better and the bass becomes more punchy and realistic when I combine the TF's with my mini^3. Not a night and day improvement, but definitely an improvement I can easily notice in back-to-back testing
wink.gif

Will

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #15 of 15
Thanks for the replies. I just bought an ER-4S that I'm hoping will become my IEM of choice when carrying an amp. If that works, out, I may trade my SF5s for TF10s for ultra portable use. I have a set of UE Complys on order too. If they work well, that'll help the decision to buy the TF10s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back