Triple.fi recable...memory wire??
Jun 11, 2009 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dragontooth67

New Head-Fier
Hi all, the time has come for me to replace the cable on my triple.fi's....again (first time the memory wire broke on both ears, UE sent me a replacement cable free under warranty...nice!). This time the plug end is starting to have an intermittent connection.

I have read much discussion about the Westone ES2 or UE custom cable, and those seem to be the two most likely candidates (without spending $100). But I was hoping to get some feedback on whether or not these cables have memory wire in them (I do the flip-flop mod so memory wire for me is a must to keep them on my ears). I have seen some pictures that lead me to believe they have some kind of extra sleeve at each ear piece, but I wasn't sure if that was memory wire or something else. So if you use either of these cables, if you could let me know what the memory wire situation is, that would be cool.

I would be open to other suggestions as well....I wouldn't mind a bump in SQ but I am not willing to spend more than $70 or so for it. And I would like for the cable to retain as much flexibility as the stock cable does (although I have heard many complaints about that cable being stiff...never been clear if that's people complaining about the memory wire or not though; I could see how the memory wire would be annoying if you didn't flip flop). Also, I have done some DIY in the past (some cables and a millet hybrid max amp) so I wouldn't be opposed to just fixing my current cable, as long as I don't worsen the sound quality. Or building a new one....

Sorry, I know there are a lot of different ideas I have thrown around here....its kind late at night so my thinking is not that organized. Any advice you guys could give would be awesome. Thanks!

Flame prevention Edit: I just saw that there was another thread about this same topic like 6 hours ago....just like to re-emphasis that I am primarily asking about the memory wire situation. Sorry if it feels like overkill....

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 3
Yes the ES2 cables do come with a memory wire. Upgrading to the ES2 cables will be the best choice you will ever make for your triple.fi. Previously I was using the sf5pro and the upgrade to the ES2 cable brings about not only tightening and smoothing out the bass and highs but also improves on the comfort level.

You can not believe how flexible and not tangy they are. Do note that you will have to file the pins on the ES2 cables as they are slightly bigger than the holes on the triple.fi. Try not to take them in and out too often though.

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 3
My UE custom cable has memory wire too, but I have the covered version (the new ones are not covered apparently and you can see the plastic sleeve which I guess is the MW) which is a thick and sturdy cable. Very solid, flexible too but not anything like as disappearing as the ES. I don't find this an issue at all, but ES cable owners probably would! SQ? Bloody marvellous! W-I-D-E soundstage, reminiscent of open cans, tightened up bass, superb treble (all the things TF10 does well, & then some to my ears)...it's too long since I heard the Westone ES cable to compare, sorry.

EDIT\ Must say, the new uncovered UE custom cable looks a whole lot more flexible than my covered one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back