Trip to NYC
Jul 26, 2007 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

matrixxhw

Head-Fier
I'm leaving for NYC soon, and I'm looking for things to do. I've done all the real touristy things (Statue of Liberty, etc.) and I'm looking to experience the really unique parts of NYC, preferably within/around manhattan. Any suggestions are appreciated (as well as some decent audio shops...perhaps a place where I can demo some IEM's?). Thanks

May 22, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 6
For off the beaten path in New York, I like the Cloisters Museum in the Inwood area. It’s like an old European castle. It’s an actual building structure of that style.

I know it sounds crazy but most people don’t know about this “secret” place hidden in the city.

I also like the Williamsburg area in Brooklyn. It’s relatively unknown among tourists and I love the neighborhood walk.

If you want to get a little more off the beaten path, you can check out the Latin American restaurants in the Bronx and in Queens.

New York has really good Latin American/ Puerto Rican food. Most tourist have no idea because those restaurants tend to be hidden in residential areas away from tourist spots.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 6
I forgot to mention Brighton Beach area in Brooklyn. Another area where tourists seem to avoid or don’t know.

Brighton Beach is probably the largest Russian neighborhood in America and you will see a lot of Russian shops and Russian people.

Its kind of like going back in time and visiting an old world. I love seeing the old Russian ladies. They can be interesting characters.

I remember this one old Russian lady warning me not to go inside a particular restaurant because she said it was too expensive. I kind of appreciated that she was concerned about my spending.

May 23, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 6
I forgot to mention Brighton Beach area in Brooklyn. Another area where tourists seem to avoid or don’t know.

Brighton Beach is probably the largest Russian neighborhood in America and you will see a lot of Russian shops and Russian people.

Its kind of like going back in time and visiting an old world. I love seeing the old Russian ladies. They can be interesting characters.

I remember this one old Russian lady warning me not to go inside a particular restaurant because she said it was too expensive. I kind of appreciated that she was concerned about my spending.

Or she runs a competing restaurant nearby........

May 24, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 6
Another hidden “secret” is another Little Italy located in the Bronx.

Everybody knows about the famous Little Italy in Manhattan but very few people know about the other “hidden” Little Italy in the Bronx.

But to be honest, it seems like Italian food is declining in New York. I’m not trying to be negative but it seems like Italian Americans have little interest in their own food heritage and even their culture. The good news is that good Italian food can still be found. One of the most interesting dishes I’ve had was ravioli stuffed with lamb brains. As strange as it sounds, it was excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back