trinket for SQ+mic, wired or 2-way BT
Jun 29, 2020 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

john61ct

Head-Fier
Please read my obligatory "hello forum" introductory post for general background context: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hi-im-bit-of-a-private-sort.936027

I'm not sure what this device "X" would be called. At this point I want the flexibility of best-of breed single-purpose modules, nothing all-in-one.

So, please assume that I will either find the HP to perfectly match the output of this X gadget, or add a dedicated HPamp to suit if needed. In other words, do not worry about power / voltage / gain / impedance issues of the output amp section.

Think of it as a "HP preamp", so long as it has clean and transparent hifi SQ, not designed for cheap headsets or IEMs, but appropriate for some category of (maybe "studio-quality"?) $500+ cans.

Also, no DAP nor DAC is needed, let's start out with a foundation of using analog I/O from a source phone/tablet/PC. If such functionality happens to be included, that's fine, but for now let's just ignore those specs as we do the HPamp section, not looking to spend the money on those aspects.

The wired **microphone** input and pre-amp **is** critical however! Ideally X would have the type-flexibility and SQ of an audio interface like Focusrite, Apogee, RME, MOTU.

But OTOH I want X to be light, ideally amazingly tiny, or at least very small.

So, if it can't be **as** accommodating as an audio interface, then at least accepting top-notch hi SQ mics of **some** type, to be used for critical Zoom / Skype / VoIP calls and conferencing. Ideally stereo, lavalier/pin or boom (attached to HP cup), or desktop or handheld mic, as context requires.

A built-in mic would be fine, but only as a parallel, inferior SQ alternative to using an external one, the latter getting full functionality.

Volume / mute / playback controls would be nice, ideally the same whichever mic is used?

Now we could in theory stop there, gadget X being analog-wired only. If necessary I can buy a separate, equivalent gadget for the 2-way BT.

Oh yes, X can be USB powered, it must be DC anyway, but ideally it has its own rechargable internal battery.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 5
But of course it would be better if LDAC Bluetooth were included, or aptX HD, ideally Adaptive and LL as well.

2-way of course, all my microphone desires above still apply, which is where things apparently get tricky, or at least so it seems to this noob.

My understanding is, it is **just not possible** to mix & match, the phones and microphone must be both either BT or wired, is that right?

Bottom line is, I want to use a wired HP of choice, perhaps swapping for different contexts

same with a wired mic

but be able to go wireless when the context makes that more important than audio listening SQ.

If it worked out better to always use a wireless mic, and only swap wired mode for the phones that would be fine but that seems to not be an option.

Jun 29, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 5
OK, I think the best-of-breed specialized essentials covered, now looping back around to all-in-one "might be nice".

X could be used as a DAC, certainly USB from recent Androids, say LG V30, but tablets / PC, Linux ChromeOS or Windoze, forget the iFruit. SPDIF ideally in and out, able to act as pass-through converter to a better DAC would be nice.

Maybe X could sit at the speaker / amp rather than tethered to the phone, receiving over BT or even better, a DAP remote controlled from the Android, Roon node?

I know I'm confused here, none of these wacky fantasies should take away for the more essential requirements above.

#1 is that I am mobile-working, listening to awe inspiring music all day, but frequently receiving those pesky business calls.

I want to seamlessly switch back and forth between those modes, no swapping plugs or hardware.

Just as conveniently as if I had a cheap gamer headset on.

I'm leaving the budget pretty open, but say I need some change back from a grand, for at least a pair of starter cans.

Of course the essentials only for under $200 would be great!

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 5
Apparently "Bluetooth Receiver" is the category term I was looking for, for at least that aspect.

Not sure how common the 2-way aspect and microphone integration is in audiophile SQ gear though.

Have not seen coordination of that mic / playback integration when switching back to wired mode though.

And it seems DAC / DAP integration makes many good units pretty expensive. . .

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 5
Found this little gadget, so minimalist does not really fit here, but I suppose could be one part of a solution.

Little Bear MC1023 A/B Switcher for headset or headphone + stereo microphone

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/little-bear-mc1023-a-b-switcher-douk-nobsound.936350

Certainly meets my primary criterion of allowing the use of any headphones and any microphone.

Completely passive, no idea if detrimental to SQ, but Douk makes some (apparently) decent gear.

Could be smaller, but would then prolly not have the nice big attenuator pot on top.

Any but the most basic mic will need its own preamp / audio interface, and some headphones may need a boost from a Nickel or something.

On the source side, could be fed analog direct, or via USB DAC.

A 2-way WiFi or BT LDAC or aptX HD transceiver of some sort would deliver on the wireless aspect.

Any feedback or suggestions welcome

For alternatives especially, so far this gizmo seems unique, but it is not exactly attractive. . .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back