Trimming Shure Olive tips?
Oct 12, 2007 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

uberstuber

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone tried cutting the excess foam on the "olives" so they end near the end of the sound tubes?
Any idea on how this would affect sound?
I'm too afraid to do this myself for fear of possibly wasting a pair, but I'm curious...

Oct 12, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 5
Dexter Morgan and I talked about this a few weeks back in PM's. He mentioned that he preferred yellow foam to black, and I recommended doing what you said. I think he said his results were close to what we expected, which is that the black foam started to sound more like the yellow to him.

YMMV.

Oct 12, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 5
I have two extra sets of these things, so I went ahead and did it. Here's what I've noticed:
Slightly less bass, but this is probably because the fit isn't as good.
However, the bass is very slightly less muddy.
Isolation isn't as good.
I didn't notice much change in mids or highs.
I sounds like the sound originates from an inch or two outside of my head, as opposed to the unmodified tips that sound like they're coming from where the actual headphones are.
They do sound similar to the yellow foamies.
YMMV of course.

I'm probably going to stick with the normal tips, because isolation is really important to me, and I like the sound signature slightly better. I'm also worried that cutting off the tips would make them less washable, as it removes the outside coating, exposing the actual foam.

I don't have a digital camera, so pictures are a no-go as of now. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back