triflange vs shure olive
May 1, 2008 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

-NaCl-

Head-Fier
I am finding the shure olives a bit troublesome for me to use since I have to compress, pull away my hair, then insert. I am using the shure olive with my UM1 right now.
I would like to know if the flange is any better than the olive in terms of isolation, comfort, and its effect on the sound. It does seems a bit easier to use since there's no compressor. Is the triflange bad for the ear canal? It seems like it can cause some serious ear canal expansion.

May 1, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 17
My experience with the triflanges is that it is mainly sleeves for the home, they don't stay in my ears nearly as well as the olive. Sound signature wise they are like the opposite, where the olives enhance bass the triflanges greatly enhance tremble.

May 1, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 17
thanks for the quick reply.
I will be using them while I go to classes. Considering its comfort and the staying in factor, do you think it's worth the difference on UM1?
Oh, if I do decide to try out the tri-flange? How is it different from the bi-flange? And should it buy the ety kind or shure kind? or some other kind?

May 1, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #4 of 17
The triple flange is either going to suit you or its not, you will just have to give it a go, reason being...it depends on how deep or shallow your 1st bend in your ear canal is. If it is shallow, like mine, you wont be able to use the triple flange, but can cut off the last flange and make it a bi-flange.

The etymotic ones are better IMO, they tend to feel smoother and therefore, more comfortable.

May 1, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #5 of 17
yeah i guess i will try it
but do you know if the ety triflange will fit the shures or um1?

where do you guys buy cheap ety triflange?
the one i found on ebay is a bit different from those on the ety site

May 1, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #6 of 17
On my er6i, I prefer the olives over the triflange in every meaningful way. While the triflanges are easy to insert, I found myself constantly adjusting them to try and get them positioned correctly. The olives are also much more comfortable over extended periods of time. I also found the triflanges to be more closed or canned sounding - switching to the olives made the sound much more open and natural, and provided a slight bass boost. Isolation is about the same for both of them, if I recall correctly. Long story short, I really can't recommend switching to the triflanges, especially if you like the sound with the olives - the difference is quite pronounced, at least to my ears. But don't let me dissuade you too much, the triflanges are probably worth trying, if only for peace of mind. Just don't expect a miracle - there's a reason that so many people switch to the olives, not from them.

May 1, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 17
What size of olives do you use? I used to use medium and they worked perfectly fine, but using small size let me push it into my ears without having to compress it or not having to compress them as much.

triflanges is simply the most uncomfortable tip I've ever tried (hard to insert, and painful over extended wear). They undoubtedly isolate more than my olives and give an analytical touch to the sound.

May 2, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #9 of 17
I use small olives. I tried pushing them in with the twisting motion when I first purchase them. They were hard and hurt my ears. That's why I used the compressing way. I tried the twisting motion again. Not that bad. Perhaps the foam has become more elastic. I do think compressing it before insert gives better comfort.

Thanks for the info guys. Gonna say no to the tri-flange for now.

May 2, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #10 of 17
I prefer olives floating in my gin. They seem to work best that way for me. I like to marinate them for the duration of the cocktail and consume them at the end. I can't imagine a triflange in gin or even vodka for that matter would be any good at all. :p

May 2, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by -NaCl- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah i guess i will try it
but do you know if the ety triflange will fit the shures or um1?

where do you guys buy cheap ety triflange?
the one i found on ebay is a bit different from those on the ety site

ebay seller "idealsound" has the cheapest prices for tips/foams/filters.

May 2, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #12 of 17
I use Medium olives on my ER-4P. They work really well as long as you keep them clean!

I actually like the way triflanges sound, but I simply cannot wear them without extreme discomfort.

May 2, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #13 of 17
i couldn't get a good seal without major discomfort with the triflanges. I ended up cutting away the smallest flange to form a biflange which IMO were pretty comfortable and provided pretty good seal which were pretty close to what the shure olives offered.

SQ wise the shure olives were slightly bassier and an overall warmer sound which were pretty attributed by the better seal.

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #14 of 17
If you can fit all three flanges into your ears then you're odd...you have giant ear holes. I had to cut off the smallest flange and cut off part of the stem near the large flange. The bi-flanges are nice IMO. Compared to the olives, they slightly reduce the bass and increase the highs on my Shure se530. They're also more comfortable than the spherical gray silicone tips.

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #15 of 17
Since the UM1s are shallow insertion phones, I found that the tri-flanges didn't go in deep enough to block out sufficient noise. So depending on your ears and where your using em, I'd second using olives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back