Tried the Marshmallows, cant handle the isolation, need suggestions on new portables
Apr 14, 2007 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

c0mfortably_numb

Headphoneus Supremus
Well I purchased the Marshmallows a few days ago, after burning them in with pink noise I went to go for my walk today and I thought my eardrums where going to explode, with each foot strike I could hear it thud in my ear, and the cord is way to microphonic. It's a shame I really wanted to like these cans.

So I have learned that I do not like the isolation at all, and now I'm yet again searching for a pair of beater cans that I will not care if they get sweaty or destroyed. I already own the KSC75 and well I love them, I don't care for the fit well out and about, there fine for my nightstand use
smily_headphones1.gif

I know about the Yuin PK2, but I don't want to spend $70 for exercise cans...So far I have come up with the following ideas:

- Sennheiser PX10 I think I would really like these cans but no one has them in stock
frown.gif
I remember back in the day I had a pair of Sonys like them and loved them.

- AKG K14P

- Sennheiser MX450/MX500

I listen mainly to rock, alt rock, indie, and would prefer something with out a ton of bass, the marshmallows to me seemed to boomy even after burning them in.

Apr 14, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 13
To get rid of microphonics, put the Marshmallows in upside down and wrap the cord over the top and behind your ears. Also, the Kramer mod adds highs, which seemed to even out the sound for me. And maybe try some different tips. Shure E2 foamies are the most popular.

There's a thread about mounting your KSC75's to a headband here.

Apr 14, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To get rid of microphonics, put the Marshmallows in upside down and wrap the cord over the top and behind your ears. Also, the Kramer mod adds highs, which seemed to even out the sound for me. And maybe try some different tips. Shure E2 foamies are the most popular.

There's a thread about mounting your KSC75's to a headband here.

Yeah bro, when you wear them upside down and loop the cables over the ears there are almost no microphonics at all.

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #5 of 13
JVC's next up, the fx55s, are open and you should not hearing your running like you do with fx33s. However, they sound is very different: it lacks bass but it more detailed in the mids and highs. I've tried them but not running, does anyone else have experience with them?

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 13
With IEMs, all those noise like footsteps or your heartbeat will become apparent. I'm guessing you should:
1) Get used to it
2) Dump IEMs altogether

The only exception to #2 (and I've read this somewhere in this forum) are customs.

Apr 15, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #9 of 13
From my own experience, I got used to the footfall sounds with (non-iem) isolating headphones. By that I mean, the sound was still there, only less intrusive when I noticed it. An analogy: if you wear glasses, when you buy a new pair you can't help fixating on the frame edges. With time you stop noticing it. Kinda like a break-in period for your brain (some argue that's what ALL break-in is anyway, but I digress...).

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #11 of 13
you really can't get any better with the KSC75 and headband mod for the price.

they are cheap
sound great
and are light
plus they don't isolate

You don't need to keep looking for something to walk with. Just go to walmart and get a $5 durabrand radio and preform the headband mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back