Tried Radio Shack foamy mod on MX400's -- WHOA!!!
Jan 20, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #31 of 45
This forum has been driving me nuts, been testing various headphones for my 350 slim X.

I bought Koss the plug and even though at times it can be muddy or lack the mids, the bass and highs are satisfiying. When you get the fit right , they sound great.

I tried the Koss 55's at Best buy the other day, they sounded warm but not loud due to all the ambient noise in the store. I also found the headband uncomfortable.

What is your experience with the KDS 50's for comfort. Do the clips stay on? Do they hurt your ears after awhile. Do you find the volume to low on them?
Also, I am wondering if the Sens buds MX 400 are that much better than the iriver ones (I think they are MX300's but they have the irvier name on them so I can't tell) Rat shack won't let me try them or return them, so it's a one time purchase. Hard to find good stuff in Canada.

It seems to be you need a different headphone for different purposes. I've never heard a bud or open headphone that can give the soundstage essance of a closed phone.

PS I can't find the MX500 anywhere in Canada

Jan 21, 2004 at 1:43 AM Post #32 of 45
I have the MX400's (albeit without the RS mod), Koss KSC-35's, and Koss KSC-50's.
I don't like the sound of the MX400's at all. From the mixed reviews I've read on these forums, I'm thinking the sound quality of the MX400's is affected largely by how well these earbuds fit in your ear. And I guess in my case, they don't fit well. I still use them for working out, as they're the least bulky.
The Koss KSC-50's sound better than the MX400's, but they feel really bulky and don't fit well on my ears (my ears start hurting after about half hour of use). I never use these anymore.
I really like the sound of the Koss KSC-35's. Definitely the best portable earphones I've used by far. And they don't hurt my ears at all, even after prolonged use. Highly recommend them! I even bought a second pair from Koss.com just in case.

Jan 26, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #33 of 45
I passed by Radio-Shack to checkout those pads, Radio-Scrap is such a rippoff...

Saw their pads, for 14.99$.......
eek.gif
That comes down to 4$ per little foamy thing...
rolleyes.gif

They crazy!!!

Jan 26, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by dmcmusic
This forum has been driving me nuts, been testing various headphones for my 350 slim X.

Also, I am wondering if the Sens buds MX 400 are that much better than the iriver ones (I think they are MX300's but they have the irvier name on them so I can't tell)

I just got the Senn MX400 buds for my iRiver 350 and i can tell you not to bother, they sound pretty much the same as the ones that came with it. The iriver buds are slighty better perhaps, they have much stronger bass but a little less high freq presence. Its give and take, but either way its certaintly not an upgrade. I was a bit shocked really cause i considered the iriver buds to be crap but apparently there really good! Same hiss on both too.

Im awaiting on my Philips 890's that i also ordered and if there the same sideways step to my technics HT-300 ill be crushed.

Jan 26, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by GirgleMirt
I passed by Radio-Shack to checkout those pads, Radio-Scrap is such a rippoff...

eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

They crazy!!!

That's gotta be a price mistake or something. I passed by mine and they're $1.99 for 4 foamies.

Edit: spelling

Jan 26, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by GirgleMirt

eek.gif
rolleyes.gif

They crazy!!!

It must have been a mistake. It's two bucks for the whole thing. If not, show them the link on their own website and show them that they have an incorrect price.

I bet it was just a mistake. Last resort, buy them online.

Jan 27, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #37 of 45
Well actually its pretty much in accordance with their item pricing here. (Montreal, Canada)

I'm not sure how they are in the states, but here its a real hoax. Radio-Scrap is the last place where you want to buy anything... Not only do they carry only trash, but they sell it at a preposterous price.

If I had a digital cam I'd go there and bring you photographic evidence... Hell on my next trip I'll write down the headphones they carry and their prices.

For fun I'll ask the salesman if its the right price then point him out to the .com but I'm pretty sure its the price they're selling it for.

Jan 27, 2004 at 3:02 AM Post #39 of 45
14.99$

Jan 27, 2004 at 7:30 AM Post #40 of 45
just bought them today, for ppl who want ta know what it looks like:
1.jpg

here are the silicone pads:
2.jpg

price:
3.jpg

i think i saw some 14.99 pads before, but they were like yellow, blue and red ones.
confused.gif

after reading the thread i went out and bought both the sili pads and the foamies.

the RS silicones suck. period ... although, they might work well on sony 888's (888's sound horrible with pads, but cant get a good fit without them...)

the RS foam pads i think are too thick and muffs the sound too overtly, while it warms up the sounds it kills all the higher range. without the foamies, the mx500 becomes a little shrill and its hard to get a fit (and keep it) with the hard plastic.

the best pads i've found are actually the pads that come with the stock iPod headphones, they are thinner than the RS ones, yet still provide a better fit and alter the sound of the 'phones in a minimal way, but still enough to dampen the tinny and shrill sound of the mx400's when unpadded. oh, and btw i also wear the 400's upside down, with the cord wrapping around my ear, which helps keep them in place a lot better, and the inverted position allows a much tighter fit of the earphone. (u know when u have a good fit when u can hear a recognizable decrease in ambient outside noise - and when u can hear a lot more of the lower range in the music, and when u can feel that the fit is snug and does not pop out easily...that part is kinda redundant but yeh)

4.jpg

yes its dorky, but its a lot easier to have on, and the cord just goes around my back to my side pocket.

*also, an important note* - if u try wearing it this way, u have to connect the l and r wires sooner than stock (bad explanation i know, hopefully the pic helps) , about where your hairline ends on ur neck:

5.jpg

6.jpg

this creates just enough wire tension so that it keeps the 'phones in place.

...dang, didnt think this post was gonna get so involved, anyhow, yeh, i suggest trying the iPod pads (if u have them) rather than the RS pads, IMHO

kinda like ghetto style e3's haha
280smile.gif

Feb 2, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #42 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by Lil'Andy
silcion rings SUCK!!! They muffle the sound. RS foamies are SICK!!! They're THE BEST!!!

This wins MD1032's "Most Intelligent Post of the Day" award!

Anyway, nice pics and good info, ja. I would like to know why you are wearing your right bud on your left ear, though. There's a reason those things are labeled "R" and "L", you know.
wink.gif

Feb 4, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #45 of 45
hehe in all seriousness however, those rings really do really suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back