Tried out the HD555
Dec 13, 2005 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sidewinder

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

at my local electronic store I tried out the Sennheiser HD555, connected to a Marant amp & CDP (don't recall the model/type).. but it's probably somewhat more advanced compared to the one listed in my sig (both amp & CDP already past their 20th birthday)..

Damn, these headphones have lots of bass.. also the sound was muffled in some kind of way.. I listened to 'How to dismantle an atomic bomb' (I didn't have another CD in my pocket at that time).. you'll be right to say, hey, you didn't listen to other types of music, which is undeniably correct.. but when I went back to my er4p, the sound was just way clearer (even on my PCDP)..

have a nice one
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 7
The HD555 will only really 'open up' once it is burned in a little.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
your findings are similar to mine when they are not amped properly. Give it a proper headamp and u'd hear just about the opposite - bass shy, much more airy and larger soundstage

Yup, agreed, this counts more than burn in. (I hadn't read attentively enough to realize what the amp was)

Dec 13, 2005 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 7
Also, despite being more forward than other Sennheisers, the HD 555 are still more laid back than other cans. It's called the "Sennheiser Veil". You might need some time to get used to the sound signature.

I don't have the impression though, that HD 555 cannot be appreciated without an amp. They are designed for use without additional amplification. But of course: Any headphones will improve, when amped.

Dec 13, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
your findings are similar to mine when they are not amped properly. Give it a proper headamp and u'd hear just about the opposite - bass shy, much more airy and larger soundstage

Bass shy? I don't think so.

BTW I tried out the SR225s last week. This was out of the store's Denon receiver with no burn-in of course. The Grados had sandpaper mids and the low bass was MIA. (compared to my HD555s.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back