Tried out the DT 770 Pro 32ohm, need suggestions after returning them.
Feb 15, 2017 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

WyldeGooseChase

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm new here, but I've been reading around the forums for suggestions for a while.

I finally pulled the trigger last week on the DT770 Pro 32ohm. I've heard great things about the DT 770 Pros, and made the mistake of buying the 32ohm without an amplifier assuming that the impedance was low enough for my cell phone (HTC 10) to drive.

For what it's worth, they sounded great in the highs and mids, but were lacking low end due to the lack of an amplifier. I've since returned them, and now am looking for another pair. 

Background: I've used a Bose QC-15 for a while, didn't like them very much as they didn't really have soundstage (even for a closed headphone, compared to the DT770) and the noise cancelling hurt my head after more than 1.5 hours of use. I mostly listen to Metal, and game on my PC with them as well. I also don't plan to purchase an Amplifier any time soon, maybe in the future for my desktop, but I would never get a portable amp. My primary concern is use on the train I take to work (as it gets really loud). Budget is under $150 (except maybe a bit more for the COPs).

What I'm considering: 
- DT770 i 16ohm
- Sennheiser HD598cs
- Maybe Custom One Pros? 

I've heard next to nothing about the 16ohm DT770 i, other than it's either the best or worst headphone the reviewer has ever heard. 
I've tried the HD569 at a Fry's, and found them to not have as good of a soundstage as the DT770 32ohm. I hear the drivers of the HD569 are the same as the HD598cs, so I figured they'd be (mostly) similar.

Anyone here have experience with both the DT770 i 16ohm and the HD598cs? I think Soundstage and a balance of amp-less drivability+sound quality is important to me, and I'd want to know which is better.

Side-note: I hear the COPs and the DT770 i 16ohm use the same drivers. Would the DT770 housing improve soundstage vs the COPs?

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 8
  Hello, I'm new here, but I've been reading around the forums for suggestions for a while.

I finally pulled the trigger last week on the DT770 Pro 32ohm. I've heard great things about the DT 770 Pros, and made the mistake of buying the 32ohm without an amplifier assuming that the impedance was low enough for my cell phone (HTC 10) to drive.

For what it's worth, they sounded great in the highs and mids, but were lacking low end due to the lack of an amplifier. I've since returned them, and now am looking for another pair. 

Background: I've used a Bose QC-15 for a while, didn't like them very much as they didn't really have soundstage (even for a closed headphone, compared to the DT770) and the noise cancelling hurt my head after more than 1.5 hours of use. I mostly listen to Metal, and game on my PC with them as well. I also don't plan to purchase an Amplifier any time soon, maybe in the future for my desktop, but I would never get a portable amp. My primary concern is use on the train I take to work (as it gets really loud). Budget is under $150 (except maybe a bit more for the COPs).

What I'm considering: 
- DT770 i 16ohm
- Sennheiser HD598cs
- Maybe Custom One Pros? 

I've heard next to nothing about the 16ohm DT770 i, other than it's either the best or worst headphone the reviewer has ever heard. 
I've tried the HD569 at a Fry's, and found them to not have as good of a soundstage as the DT770 32ohm. I hear the drivers of the HD569 are the same as the HD598cs, so I figured they'd be (mostly) similar.

Anyone here have experience with both the DT770 i 16ohm and the HD598cs? I think Soundstage and a balance of amp-less drivability+sound quality is important to me, and I'd want to know which is better.

Side-note: I hear the COPs and the DT770 i 16ohm use the same drivers. Would the DT770 housing improve soundstage vs the COPs?

I haven't heard the HD569 or the DT770i, unfortunately. I would add one more to your list in this price range though, and that is the SoundMAGIC HP150, which is comfortable, has a good soundstage, good isolation, great detail, and is easily driven by a phone or ipod. Pricing should be in the under-$150 range (currently $129.99 on amazon US). Something to consider.

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 8
  I haven't heard the HD569 or the DT770i, unfortunately. I would add one more to your list in this price range though, and that is the SoundMAGIC HP150, which is comfortable, has a good soundstage, good isolation, great detail, and is easily driven by a phone or ipod. Pricing should be in the under-$150 range (currently $129.99 on amazon US). Something to consider.

Those look great! My concern is with the circle hinges though, I'll be traveling across the US often with whatever I buy, and would like much more durability (the metal build of the DT770 appealed to me for that reason, despite the size).

Anyone have any other suggestions? I also saw that AKG K550s have good soundstage (if not comparable to the DT770) and didn't need amplification. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 8
I've heard that the HD598's have a great soundstage (compared to the HD600's).

I've tried the HD599s at a kiosk and really like them! But I'm looking for a closed back since I know I will be using them on a plane, train, or office. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 8
I know nothing about the NAD HP50 (edit: they're closed back) but serman005 suggested them in another thread. Here's a couple of places to research them:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

http://www.head-fi.org/products/nad-electronics-viso-hp50-noise-isolating-over-ear-headphones

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 8
Ah shucks, those look out of my price range (I think i mentioned $150 and below). They look nice though.

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 8
Finding decent closed headphones at that price are few and far between. Th

Users who are viewing this thread

Back