Tried out DT 770 80 ohm, not happy other suggestions?
Feb 6, 2016 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ChriffeR

100+ Head-Fier
Hello so I tried out the DT 770 80 OHMs, I was dead set on the dt990 but I wanted to trial the dt 770 to check out the comfort and audio before pulling the trigger on the 990. I know one is open and one is closed, though regardless the 770s made my ears really warm. I felt like the 770s were plain and boring PERSONALLY, the sound seemed like it was in front of me and the bass seemed to drown out the mids? This is my first set of real cans so I'm mostly sounding incredibly dumb.

Anyway I still want open back, I know that then 770swere closed back and I assume maybe this is an ignorant question because I'm sure all open back sound different. I just want a open back set of cans Same price point with some bass punch, and a rather large Soundstage I am currently using a sound blaster z to power whatever cans I get. However I may return it and pick up a Fiio E10k, or a Schiit Fulla because I get some white noise with the soundcard assuming because it's interior.

My current options are after research, Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 OHM AKG K612 pros, ad900x ( little on edge bout the 3d wing support but willing to try) AKG Q701, HD598 Sennheiser, Sound Magic HP200. I listen to hip hop, female singers and dubstep, as well as rock so kinda a crazy combination to nail!

Thanks everybody I always apologize in advance for making so many posts about the same headphones I just wanna get as much detail as I can and the best for my money.

Feb 7, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #5 of 11
I'm acctaully going to remove the 990's from my list as the 770's clamping force was a little too hard and sort of hurt my jaw as it clamps right on top! So I decided i'm ordering 2 pairs and returning either of two I don't like, right now for sure I have the 598's in my cart as the safe bet, next pair is between Q701/K612 pro, or possibly AD900x

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 11
If you have the money get a HD 600 and be done with. Stop wasting money on lots of cheaper headphones and get a single quality mid fi set. :)

If you have to stick to under 200, you can also consider Q701 from your list.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #9 of 11
I thought about picking up the HD600's, but I don't wanna spend $330 on a pair of cans as my FIRST audiophile headphones. I wanna gradually work my way into it, and work my way up to the better set of cans. So the HD598's / AKG Q701's are two pairs that are solid to try out? I already assume both will be great for gaming and sound positioning. I just want some clear treble and decent bass that's all. I want my action movies to come to life! If either of these do that I will be happy :). Also note I am returning my Sound Blaster Z soundcard, and picking up the Fiio E10k or the Schiit Fulla as I have white noise from the soundcard, and also want an external volume knob!

My only concern with the Q701's were the bumps on the top of the headband that's the only reason what made me consider the K612 pro's over the Q701s.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #10 of 11
I also have somebody willing to sell me 30 minute used AKG K7XX for $200 their #5033 so their not the first 2000 batch that was popular for the rattling in the ear! He said he tried them out, but told me to bring bass heavy music to try it for myself! Also keep in mind these don't have a return policy so if I don't like the K7xx I'm stuck with them.

Feb 7, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #11 of 11
Keep searching for some X2's. Will be your best bet for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back