Tried DT 770 Pro, DT 990 Pro, but still looking for the 'right" headphones ..
Feb 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Lucenzo

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm looking for new headphones. I basically listen to all kinds of music but mainly bassy music like dubstep/brostep etc.

My soundcard is an Asus Xonar Essence STX.

I have no pro audio store anywhere in the neighbourhood so I have to base my buy on opinions and reviews on the internet..

I already tried Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm because I thought these would be perfect for me, I read they isolated really good which was a good thing for me, but they isolated SO well that I couldn't hear my mom YELLING my name next to me when I was listening to something at semi-high volume.. So I send them back.

So I went and tried open back, DT 990 PRO 250 Ohm it was. I read that this headphone had harsh treble for some people.. Well, appereantly I am one of those people.. There is sibilance in every single "S" or "F" and it's like a knife going into my ear every time. Going to send them back too.. :/

So I don't know what to do now tbh .. I read that the Sennheiser HD 598's bass is not nearly as punchy as the 770.. And I'm kind of a basshead, I like the deep, punchy bass in my music with the 770 Pro's. The bass of the 990's a slighty less punchy (I'd say about 15 % maybe), but it was defintally still just as hearable. (I know this is because of the closed and open back difference ;p )

What I want in a headphone is the bass from the 770, NOT the high 8-18 Khz treble from the 990, the comfort of both of these.

I was really happy with the overall quality of these headphones, for example how good the bass frequency was, and how deep and punchy it was without losing any detail in the mids or highs.. I don't want to lose that ..

I still have the 990's at the moment, so any solutions for that are welcome too, because beside the earshattering sibilance, they are pretty great.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 3
If you have an EQ, either for the sound card or whatever player you are using, use it to tone the treble down. As for the DT770, perhaps you could simple turn down the volume to a moderate level? If you are turning it up to hear it crank out the bass, again, use the EQ to do what you want without having to drown your ears with high volume.

Also, I'd suggest a new title for this thread so that more people can find it when they search, and you will get more help that way:

"Help: Beyerdynamic DT770 Sound with Less Isolation,"  and anything else you would like to add that details your problem.

Good luck!

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 3
Agree with Steve.
OP...DT-990 600ohm Premium is perfect to me...what I own.  I even EQ the treble up slightly for some genre's of music...and I have pretty ecclectic musical taste..from rock to opera. 
SQ is very individual.  Believe the STX soundcard will drive your DT-990's...but I would amp them personally and tune the sound signature how you like your music via EQ. 
Good luck.
PS: my girlfriend can hear the light over the dinner table when set to a particular intensity...60 Hz.  I can't...but I hear lower frequencies better than her I notice.  Tune the EQ to your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back