Tried 9 headphones - which 10th headphone should I try before making my final decision?
Oct 31, 2023 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Fabik

New Head-Fier
Thanks for the great community and the opportunity to access your audiophile knowledge and the time you take to read the thread.

I'm looking for a very good pair of headphones - closed or open - that have very differentiated and airy resolution, but at the same time have a clear emphasis in the bass. And fits well on the head and comfortably around large ears.

So far, I really like the B&O H95. The sub-bass and bass is just great, they are very high resolution. But since I want to keep the Bose QuietComfort (2023 Edition) (for work and on the road), as these have very good ANC and are close in performance to the H95, I'm thinking of returning the B&O H95 and get me something else in terms of critical listening / Hifi.

If necessary also something that must be operated via an external DAC (Dragonfly / Mojo 2). Price-wise, I wanted to spend a maximum of 1000 euros for the headphones. Gladly less, of course, if the extra cost should not justify the additional performance.

The following headphones (with a strong focus on Bluetooth and ANC I have already tried):
  1. Sony XM4
  2. Sony XM5
  3. B&W Px8
  4. AirPods Max
  5. Bose QuietComfort
  6. Bose QuietComfort Ultra
  7. Mark Levinson 5909
  8. B&O H95

Incoming:
  9. Dali iO-12

So far I tried 9 headphones - which 10th headphone should I try before making my final decision? Maybe something from Sennheiser HD series?

Oct 31, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 10
5909 is already on your list--what didn't you like about them? Aside from that, Solitaire T but it's out of your budget. Focal Bathys?

Oct 31, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 10
5909 is already on your list--what didn't you like about them?
So far it is the fit and comfort - and the treble is too sharp for me, it is a bit distracting as well. Some tracks are breathtaking, clear and airy, but in general it lacks in bass (despite I already did some EQ with the ML app). I also find it unacceptable for the price point that the battery cannot be replaced.

I read that the Solitaire T has less room for large ears (so I didn't give them a chance at all) and the Focal bathys do not appeal to me visually (I know, criticism on a high level, sorry for that).

Would you recommend trying the Denon D7200? Following this thread it is with to consider (and it seems that the headphone has more bass).

By the way, I like listening to electronic, pop and acoustic.

Oct 31, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 10
So far it is the fit and comfort - and the treble is too sharp for me, it is a bit distracting as well. Some tracks are breathtaking, clear and airy, but in general it lacks in bass (despite I already did some EQ with the ML app). I also find it unacceptable for the price point that the battery cannot be replaced.

I read that the Solitaire T has less room for large ears (so I didn't give them a chance at all) and the Focal bathys do not appeal to me visually (I know, criticism on a high level, sorry for that).

Would you recommend trying the Denon D7200? Following this thread it is with to consider (and it seems that the headphone has more bass).

By the way, I like listening to electronic, pop and acoustic.

I understand what you mean on the 5909, T, and Bathys.

And yes, I'm actually listening to the D7200 now--with EQ, bass is super enjoyable.

The D9200 takes clarity and resolution a big step up, but doesn't punch as hard as the D7200.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 10
How would you compare 5909 vs denon d7200 vs b&o h95?
which is better and why

I own the D7200, have only heard the 5909 for an hour or so. And I've never heard the H95. Someone else would have to weigh in.

Jan 4, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 10
So, from your memory
Which one is better d7200 or 5909 and is the difference big, medium or small?
Thanks
Can't trust audio memory--the D7200 is much warmer and the 5909 was more neutral. They're very different sounding headphones.

Jan 7, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #9 of 10
JM Audio XTC. John will tune them to your liking. Then buy a bluetooth dongle.

Jan 7, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #10 of 10
I would say for # 10 try the Focal Bathys would round out the list nicely...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back