Tricks for listening to music with shouted lyrics (i.e. heavy metal) at low volumes
Feb 26, 2012 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Norman314

Head-Fier
So I'm trying to listen to music less loudly in order to protect my hearing. With most genres, given the right headphones and a quiet background, lots of music sounds better at low to moderate volumes anyway. But I have a problem with music with shouted lyrics -- especially heavy metal stuff like Sepultura and Manowar -- listening to that kind of stuff at a low volume doesn't sound right. Hearing a shout at the loudness level of ordinary singing makes it sound weak and without spirit. Does anybody know of any good tricks -- a particular headphone, an EQ setting, or maybe some other trick, to make music like that sound good at a lower volume?

Feb 28, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 3
The VSONIC GR07 is great for low-volume listening paritcularly for metal, the details remain apparent IMO. In comparison to the IE8 I previously owned, it would only really open up if I cranked the volume which fatigued my ears faster.

Mar 18, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 3
A trick I've used with isolating IEMs or cans is to start at the lowest volume level you can still get the effect from and work your way down over the next few songs. Your ears will adjust to the levels and you will get better details and protect your hearing over long listening sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back