Triangle Titus 202??
Dec 11, 2004 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

comabereni

1000+ Head-Fier
Does anyone own these? How do they sound? Are you happy with them? Feeling the need to upgrade? What about them could be better?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Thanks,

-coma

Dec 11, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 14
I have owned a pair, and I remember them having superior midrange and detail. Very smooth treble as well. They liked solid state amplifiers in my opinion.

Dec 11, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 14
I have the Triangle Comete, the next size up from the Titus. This speaker does everything right. I have a modified [byMapleshade Records]Heathkit tube Amp. The Combo is Excellent.

Dec 11, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowmark
I have the Triangle Comete, the next size up from the Titus. This speaker does everything right. I have a modified [byMapleshade Records]Heathkit tube Amp. The Combo is Excellent.

Sounds intriguing... how much is the Mapleshade-Heathkit amp? What tubes are you using?

-coma

Dec 11, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 14
I was fortunate enough to pick up a pair locally and I have been nothing but happy with them. The 60hz cutoff frightened me but to be honest I haven't noticed the bottom end lacking at all. They are even capable of producing mildly visceral bass with enough power (dynaco st-150). If you aren't a bass freak I think you will be quite happy with them. As mentioned already the mids/highs are where these really excel, which leads me to my next point...

TN mentioned them as a good match for solid state amps; their efficiency also makes them an ideal mate with tubes. I have yet to hear a system I prefer to the sound of these out of a fisher 400 (~25 WPC). Absolutely incredible! Your profile doesn't reveal what you will be driving them with, did you have something mind?

Dec 11, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 14
Good stands are also a necessity, I would calculate that into your budget. The sound improves greatly with accurate placement/toe-ing. Don't let the front port allow you to put them in a bookshelf
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelFranks
Good stands are also a necessity, I would calculate that into your budget. The sound improves greatly with accurate placement/toe-ing. Don't let the front port alow you to put them in a bookshelf
smily_headphones1.gif

I second about the stands - a must for monitors - makes a lot of difference .
i had to buy a pair of target hr stands for mime . have to fill it up though.

Dec 12, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #9 of 14
Any weaknesses? I just read that these guys cross over at 6.2khz!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
And that it has a stiff suspension...

Dec 12, 2004 at 12:09 PM Post #10 of 14
Thanks all for your replies. I haven't decided what I'd drive them with yet (and the Cometes sound interesting too). The new digital amps are getting my attention--lots of very interesting stuff lately on Audio Circle about Tripath amps (TEAC, SI, JVC?). I want a reference grade system for my home office/listening room. The room is small enough that I'm sure a pair of monitors (and a nice 10" subwoofer) would work just great.

-coma

Dec 13, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #11 of 14
I used to have Triangle Cometes also, and thought they were great! I used them with a pair of Quad II valve amps (15W) and they worked really nicely together. People rave about the Titus as being a really good monitor for the price, while also being very efficient (realtively speaking). Triangles tend to be a little treble-y, but the works well with the Quads. I would also advise a good pair of stands, something really solid. I had mine on AtacamaSE24's (I think...) I didn't really notice a lack of bass with them, but then, I'm not really a basshead.
Andrew

Feb 22, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 14
i'm thinking of getting these as my main setup with my PC.

something like this:

zhalou dac > tripath amp (charlize maybe?) > 202's

here's my intended setup: please let me know if i'm sacrificing serious audio quality:

speakers would sit on my desk, on cinder blocks (acoustically inert; desk is SOLID butcherblock), tweeters a tad above ear level, about three feet away from me, shoulder-width apart on either side of my pc-monitor. speakers could be about a foot from the back wall, or more if necessary. thoughts? good/bad idea? i'd use them to fill out the livingroom when i'm around the house, but sound quality is less important in that case. this is my main "study" position, so i'd be spending a lot of time listening to jazz/classical/electronica while i crank away at the biology goodies. i was thinking of headphones (and i will have some, especially for portable use), but i don't think i want the teather, and i do want to be able to fill out the entire house when necessary.

appreciate the help

Feb 22, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cupples
Triangles tend to be a little treble-y

This is a point that I don't see mentioned too often with Triangles, and I wish it were mentioned more often. I had a pair of the original Tituses, the ones that made Stereophile Class B, and it was definitely a bit on the bright side. Cymbals would sing out quite crisply and loudly. The midrange was transparent and a touch on the bland side, don't expect anything warm and mushy here. It had enough bass, for a bookshelf speaker. Rather detailed and fast sounding. A fine bookshelf speaker overall for the price, but it leans more towards being analytical than musical.

Mar 6, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
This is a point that I don't see mentioned too often with Triangles, and I wish it were mentioned more often. I had a pair of the original Tituses, the ones that made Stereophile Class B, and it was definitely a bit on the bright side. Cymbals would sing out quite crisply and loudly. The midrange was transparent and a touch on the bland side, don't expect anything warm and mushy here. It had enough bass, for a bookshelf speaker. Rather detailed and fast sounding. A fine bookshelf speaker overall for the price, but it leans more towards being analytical than musical.

the review i read of the 202 mentioned previous triangle's have been brighter, and the 202 has removed most of that harshness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back