Tri-flange for e2c
Mar 18, 2005 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

git20

New Head-Fier
My E2Cs showed up, I wasn't aware that Shure doesn't supply/make a tri-flange for them. I'm used to them and think I'd prefer them since that is the type of earplug I use.

Is there a tri-flange that works with the E2c? If so, where do I get it?

Mar 18, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 6
No tri-flange for E2c that I'm aware of. I tried the Ety tri-flanges........didn't fit. If anybody has a source, I'd be interested as well.
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 6
I believe there are some tri-flanges that can be modded to fit the ec2's. I'm planning on buying some ec2's tomorrow so I'm interested... Anybody?

Mar 18, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 6
This is a post by member crimsonadam:
Quote:

I modded mine by putting some Earplanes tips on them instead of the silicone or foam tips that come with them. Essentially its a tri flange tip that looks like the Ety tips. The sound (in my ear) is a log better, it's more comfortable than the silicone tips and the bass response is bigger.

Sounds promising.
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 6
Hopefully Shure works on something, i would really like to try tri-flange....

Took them a while to get the Soft flex sleeves out, we'll see what happens.

Mar 22, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 6
I went and got some Earplanes ($5.99 at Walgreen's) as suggested above and went to work on them. Disclaimer: I don't have any objective way of measuring any of my results and I only have one set of E2Cs, so I couldn't do straight back-to-back comparisons with a music sample. However, there was only a minute or so needed to switch earpieces back and forth.

The Earplanes, as delivered, are four flange, long, and IMO didn't seal very well (I think I was uncomfortable with the length), as earplugs. But, they are made out of very soft, pliable rubber that makes them very easy to modify to fit the E2C.

First, I cut off the stock just inside a ceramic filter that they have to get what looked like a good length to fit over the stem while allowing enough on the other end for a seal.

Second, I cut off the smallest of the four flanges. When inserting it, it hung too far off the E2C stem and would collapse affecting sound.

Then, I just worked them onto the stem. A tight fit, but it fits well and won't fall off.

Soundwise, they fall between the foamies and the silicone in characteristics. They have more base than the silicone, probably due to the tighter seal, but they lost some highs and precision compared to the silicone. I was able to offset that to my satisfaction with eq w/o a problem. I bored out the inside end a little with an exacto knife to ensure the wouldn't collapse and close off.

To me, they are more comfortable and they definitely seal better than either of the options that came with my canaphones. I didn't like the sound of the foamies and they didn't isolate well enough. The silicone sounded fine and were comfortable enough, but the seal was very inconsistent, especially if I was moving around. That really affected the sound, too.

I experimented with inserting the insulation off of a 14 au wire into the part of the flange that hangs off the stem to create a hole that can't collapse at all when inserting them (even though I wasn't having a problem with that). For some reason this really messed up the sound and muddled the midrange, so I may play around with that some more.

Bottom line, this is how I will be using them from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back