Treble sensitivity and headaches? Anyone else?
Feb 20, 2009 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

K_19

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been using IEM's for good 2 years now, and I think I've finally come to the consensus that I've got some major case of treble sensitivity. My first foray into IEM's were the Shure SE210's, which although is very much idle for me now I loved for good 4-5 months before moving on. I loved it for its clear presentation of midrange and clearness, although it had very obvious weaknesses in anemic bass and rolled-off highs. To mitigrate this problem, I moved on to the UE Super fi 5 Pro's, which I also loved but immediately noticed something... I started suffering these unknown headaches every time I wore it for more than 20 minutes. I figured it was because of the impacting bass or the comfort factor, and tried bunch of different tips and EQ options before I realized that it wasn't helping much.

Fast forward to few weeks ago when I finally got the Shure SE530's. I mainly got this thinking that I've had great comfort with the SE210's, therefore these would fit me well also. I immediately noticed the comfort (can wear for hours straight) and deeper base compared to the 5 pros, but noticed the infamous rolled off highs. I went to my EQ option in my new S639's, and increased the treble a bit... then the headaches I used to get from 5 pros all of a sudden came back! This is when I realized that I must have some kind of MAJOR treble sensitivity. When highs were rolled off, that is when I found comfort (such as with my Shures, and the PX100's where highs aren't as prominent). Even with other non-IEM's like my Grado SR60's and KSC75's, I found that I will soon get headaches because of the prominent, sparkly highs in both of those. I suppose in the future if I look to upgrade, I must keep this in mind... which is a shame because I do enjoy sparkly highs. I just can't listen to it for more than 20 minutes before fatigue and aches set in.

And no, I do not have my volume too high... unamped and about 40% for Ipod Touch and my s639 with volume set to 10.

Does anyone have a case similar to me?

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 14
Yep, the same happens to me.

Had the triple.fis and the amount of treble coming out from these were killing my ears.

Sold them for the shure Se530 and now that problem is gone.

Btw, i'm using my se530s at 20% along with the volume attenuator a notch down with my ipod touch. If it wasn't for the attenuator, i'd probably use the earphones at 15%.

If you're using yours at 40%, that's gotta be damm loud and maybe damaging(for me at least)

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 14
I have the 5 Pros and the 5 EB from the UE line, and they are now pretty much niche phones when I want something exciting for 20 minutes or so. Beside the fit issues, my ears found them too harsh in highs I guess.

Is 40% on Touch really that loud? I hear of people going past 50% mark and such even with low impedance phones, I always figured I was on the low side. That is usually my maximum cap however, as anything higher does bring discomfort to me.

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 14
For me at least, 40% is very loud. Though, this could be because i listen to pretty much pop which i heard is produced at high volumes; could be my age as well though (i'm almost 17).

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #6 of 14
I only find that brighter IEM's played at higher volumes may give me a headache after longer listening periods. Most IEM's I listen with Ipod at about 70% volume.

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 14
Have the same problem with the same setup. When I had E2C i could listen to them for hours. With SE530 at 45-50% volume on my touch i start to get tired after 20 minutes of listening. I guess I'll turn it down a little, but that'll kill most of the fun
frown.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 14
ive had some trouble with tweaked treble phones in the past. strangely, the smooth se530 was one. lately, i haven't had problems at all. but, i also don't listen to music as loud as 40% for the majority of my iems. for iems that are non sensitive, maybe almost that loud, but not for the majority, that is for sure.

my earsonics sm2 for instance, are never at over 2 or 3 bars on the ipod touch (but they are sensitive). the wm2 from mingo are less sensititve and i have used them as high as 30% I suppose.

It depends on the iem. I have had to tone down treble on a few listening devices.

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #9 of 14
Welcome to the club. I've had treble sensitivity for over twenty years, since my early 20's. Trumpets, kids screaming are horrible and don't get me started about bagpipes.

Comply tips have helped me tremendously, esp. with my Ety4s. I'm not quite sure why. Maybe they dampen the vibration to the bones around my ears or something.

Also, quality of source music has been important. Badly recorded or encoded music always seems more likely to cause problems. I converted almost completely to FLAC over the winter and this has been a great improvement.

Keeping my ears clean helps. If I have too much earwax the problem increases. Also, counterintuitive as it may seem, dry air in the winter seems to increase sensitivity.

Finally, in the winter when I'm listening for more than three hours a day, I take a day off once a week to give my ears a break.

For what it's worth, I've seen three or four ENT physicians about this and they have all looked at me like I'm crazy. No help whatsoever. My hearing is otherwise just fine.

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #11 of 14
You can hardly get any sibilance with IE8, and personally never.

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #12 of 14
i dont get headaches from treble most of the time mine is from the pressure my tips cause sometimes in my right ear. I suppose customs might fix this problem. Trebel doesnt bother me much though.

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #13 of 14
it hasn't to do with a certain phone for some people. for some people, any phone will cause this problem. i understand that. even the ie8 will do that. the se530 is also one of the smoothest iems out there - if they cause pain, it is usually something else which is wrong.

Jul 22, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #14 of 14
i also have problems similar to you. i think its the high freq issue (bright?) or pounding bass presence.

that why i prefer easy listening than engaging. neutral, laid back... and got um3x
very curious on JH13pro sound..i wait till i have more spare cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back