Treble roll-off, cymbals disappearing at volume, help me get to last base please!
May 28, 2010 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dave650

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks!
My Ipod Nano 8GB, one gen back, and my sennheiser IE7s go everywhere with me. I listen to a lot of techno, metal, rock.
Today I was on the train and had a track on by thrash band Slayer called Hallowed Point. Towards the end of the song, the drum beat goes to half time and a great sounding ride cymbal kicks in, but here's my problem: At high volume, full bore, the cymbal is completely buried, as do most cymbals in most songs. I'm not about to blame Andy Wallace for his mixing, at lower volume the cymbal is there, lovely and present. The sennheisers do top end well at lower levels.
But who has been through and out the end of this tunnel with happy results?
Who has found the IEM that doesnt roll off treble at volume?
What IEMs are they?
I don't want to just buy IE8s and hope they are better. They are getting cheaper on ebay though.
I would happily sacrifice some of the 7's booming bass for treble that behaves evenly through the db range.
Thankyou.

May 28, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #2 of 9
I don't want to sound preachy, but listening to IEMs at high volume doesn't sound like a very good idea 
redface.gif

Perhaps using a portable headphone amp might help. To me it sounds more like your Nano, with its relatively weak headphone output, is causing the behavior you describe than your IEMs.

May 28, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #3 of 9
Its the same thing when I have my E5 in between the two. A little louder, that's all. Thanks for the concern! I changed to a lower voltage phono cartridge because of how loud my HD650s go out of the Darkvoice amp. You certainly put up a simple suggestion: turn it down! Then I can hear the cymbals (and not go deaf). But still.....

May 28, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 9
I don't own the IE7, but have several other Senn phones and IEMs (nothing over $200, mind you).  To me, all the Senn's I've heard are just too tame on the treble end -- no real treble sparkle, much less some high-end zing.  Not sure what to suggest to you -- maybe Monster Turbine Golds or something that has some good impact and extension on both ends of the spectrum. 

May 29, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
I'll probably just use my 7's for a few more months....

ie7 dose not have the best treble in the world ,it is rather unrefined and limited in its ability 

some iem's that have great treble whatever the volume are  ,klipsch custom 3 , pioneer se-clx9, ,mtpg ,mtpc ,TF10 , SM3
happy_face1.gif

May 29, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #9 of 9
^^cheers, I bookmarked that! Since I just bought a netbook, Im stuck with the 7s for now. Next time I work all weekend two weekends in a row, Im gonna check out that again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back