Treasure Hunting in Lake Washington
Jul 3, 2006 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

braillediver

Headphoneus Supremus
I’ve been diving each weekend for the last month. Good yield so far but nothing spectacular.

Today I found 2 semi-automatic handguns in front of a dock. 1 has been down for less than 2 weeks, looks like a Glock. It’s wrapped in a latex glove- Not Good. 2 feet to the left is a stainless or chrome plated smaller semi that is in the silt so it’s bee down awhile. I have to call Harbor Patrol after I get off the Internet. Cool I'm meeting Seattle Harbor Patrol in an hour or 2 at the dock.

They recovered the 2 guns and a box of amunition. The CSI detective was interesting to talk to. He told me where and how he'd dispose of a gun- thanks.

Saturday I got a Trek Mountain bike. Last week I got a Tiffany silver bracelet. So far this year I’m up 2 gold rings- one with a diamond chip and one with a blue sapphire. A Nikon 6 megapixel digital camera- works nice even though it was on when it was dropped in the water. $20 in change, an electronic guitar tuner, couple dozen cell phones, lots of towels, a collapsible chair, remote control for a car, bungee cords, sunglasses, bic lighters, a Lowes merchandise card with $12 on it, half a dozen silver rings. The list goes on and on and the season is just starting.

Mitch

Jul 3, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 12
Wow, that seems like a fun way to gain random posessions! I tend to my scavenging more on dry land, in skips and things, and don't tend to find anything of any value. Maybe I should get my flippers on!

EDIT: Do you keep these things as trophies, or sell them on to fund more audio madness?

Jul 4, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
Saturday I got a Trek Mountain bike. Last week I got a Tiffany silver bracelet. So far this year I’m up 2 gold rings- one with a diamond chip and one with a blue sapphire. A Nikon 6 megapixel digital camera- works nice even though it was on when it was dropped in the water. $20 in change, an electronic guitar tuner, couple dozen cell phones, lots of towels, a collapsible chair, remote control for a car, bungee cords, sunglasses, bic lighters, a Lowes merchandise card with $12 on it, half a dozen silver rings. The list goes on and on and the season is just starting.

You found all this stuff in the water??? Wow. How deep are you diving? Do you look around with a flashlight or are there some other fancy equipment involved?

Jul 4, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #5 of 12
wow thats neat!

can you post pics?... underwater? Im curious what youre see-ing down there.?

is it all swampy and murky? or is it clear? lots of fish?

Everyones familiar with coral reef pics in tropical places... but youre the first I've heard of doing this kind of thing as a hobby.

I have a co-worker really into metal-detecting (or whatever its called). He does volunteer work with the San Jose PD. He showed me his stash of gold rings, corroded change.. and yes summ bullet shells / sluggs too. He was complaining about his Koss earcup headphones getting too hot in the summer. I introduced him to some Shure E5s
biggrin.gif
He loves them!!

Jul 4, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 12
theres a season for this? Or do you mean warm enough to go in the water..?

Jul 4, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #8 of 12
why would you wrap a gun in a latex glove, then toss it in the drink? Isn't that counterproductive to the elements corroding away evidence?

Also WHERE and HOW would a CSI detective dispose of a gun? As a screenwriter, I live for details like this.

Jul 4, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #9 of 12
“there’s a season for this? Or do you mean warm enough to go in the water..?”

Yes there is a season- when it’s 80 degrees plus here in the Seattle area the people go nuts and the number of people on the docks increases by a level of magnitude. So as many people will pass through the docks in 1 week in the summer as they do for the entire rest of the year.

Nice weather here is 6 weeks give or take. So by Labor Day the frenzy is over and I go back to hunting antiques- old bottles and coins. I’ll be diving the docks every weekend until Labor Day.

“why would you wrap a gun in a latex glove, then toss it in the drink?”

One Harbor Patrol guy speculated the shooter was wearing the latex glove and when he was done shooting he’d pull the glove over the pistol and chuck it. Obviously the guy was concerned about fingerprints. But they claimed it is possible to lift fingerprints from a latex glove.

It gave me the creeps- it was not some old lady disposing of a gun her husband owned.

The CSI guy didn’t handle anything at the site. They raised the guns individually in a bucket and sealed them immediately when they arrived at the surface. He wore latex gloves anyways.

Friends found a body tied to a parking brick at that dock years ago and another time they found a KZ1000 motorcycle. I found a new outboard motor once at another spot but no motorcycles yet.

I’m looking forward to finding a laptop computer this summer.

Mitch

Jul 5, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
why would you wrap a gun in a latex glove, then toss it in the drink? Isn't that counterproductive to the elements corroding away evidence?

Also WHERE and HOW would a CSI detective dispose of a gun? As a screenwriter, I live for details like this.

hey chadbang, written anything i know?

Jul 7, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 12
I’m going back tomorrow morning and doing 2 dives at the “Long Dock” where I found the guns on Monday. I’ll bring my lift bag and a tarp to move the heavier items out of the way. There’s probably a solid 50 \ 50 chance of getting another new handgun and almost a 100% opportunity to pull another older one out of the mud.

I’m going to clean the front of the dock of debris- there’s a pay phone and cash register there amongst other things. Once it’s cleaned and searched it will be easier to locate new items.

My motivation is an effort to get to know the people who work for the Seattle Harbor Patrol since they are the people who will ticket me for diving in areas I’m not supposed to. Hopefully if I build a good rapport with them they will cut me some slack and tell me not to come back as opposed to just issuing me a $250 ticket.

Mitch

Jul 7, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #12 of 12
Hehe dredging for favors, I like it.

Im probably going to wet a line on Lake Wash one of these days, maybe I'll see you diving around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back