TREAD question.
Dec 30, 2006 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MASantos

Headphoneus Supremus
Simple question about tangent's tread:

I am planing to use a tread with a pimeta all in inside the same enclosure. I want to use an external AC/DC wallwart.

Can I keep the diode bridge and filter cap on the board so I can also use an AC/AC wallwart?

If yes, then I must include the diode voltage drop when using an AC/DC wallwart right?

To output 24v DC would a 24v AC/DC unregulated adapter be enough with the bridge installed?

Thanks

Dec 30, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Simple question about tangent's tread:

I am planing to use a tread with a pimeta all in inside the same enclosure. I want to use an external AC/DC wallwart.

Can I keep the diode bridge and filter cap on the board so I can also use an AC/AC wallwart?

If yes, then I must include the diode voltage drop when using an AC/DC wallwart right?

To output 24v DC would a 24v AC/DC unregulated adapter be enough with the bridge installed?

Thanks

Yea, you can definitely keep the bridge in there if you supply DC. You'll just need to factor in the forward voltage drop of the bridge when calculating your voltages. Whether a 24VDC adapter would be enough or not is a tougher question. You need the ~1.5V for the rectifier, then some more headroom for the regulator itself - if you use an LDO regulator it'll probably work out well. A standard regulator might not be enough after you load the trafo a bit. Depends on your current draw and the specs of the transformer.

Dec 31, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 3
Well my pimeta only draws about 70mAh and I would use a 400mA trafo so it wouldn't be much loaded. But maybe it is better to go with a little more voltage to be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back