Travelling full size headphones...
May 9, 2003 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
My recent portable phone collection has a hole in it which I'm looking to plug. Namely, easily driven full size (not the portable small size like the PX200) but folding phones which I can hang around my neck when not in use. I want something which is properly closed, has half-decent response and can be used out of the E10 without an amp. As you may know, there's easily driven and easily driven. I'm looking for easily driven. That's less than 32 ohms impedance, 102db/mw efficiency or higher.
Those figures are the absolute limits to what I'd consider.
Please post suggestions if you have any.

Oh, the infamous V700 is on the list because it meets the criteria, but only as an absolute last ditch option. I'd prefer something a great deal less glittery. In retrospect, I shouldn't have got rid of the 7509...

May 9, 2003 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
My recent portable phone collection has a hole in it which I'm looking to plug. Namely, easily driven full size (not the portable small size like the PX200) but folding phones which I can hang around my neck when not in use. I want something which is properly closed, has half-decent response and can be used out of the E10 without an amp. As you may know, there's easily driven and easily driven. I'm looking for easily driven. That's less than 32 ohms impedance, 102db/mw efficiency or higher. Those figures are the absolute limits to what I'd consider.
Please post suggestions if you have any.

Oh, the infamous V700 is on the list because it meets the criteria, but only as an absolute last ditch option. I'd prefer something a great deal less glittery. In retrospect, I shouldn't have got rid of the 7509...

Eggos D66 is a likely one to consider, with closed vents if you want more isolation.

May 9, 2003 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 25
I already have the D22, and have owned the D66... And the Eggos aren't what I'm after for isolation (even with the foam + closed vent mod).

I forgot to mention: Budget = £80 ($130)

May 9, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 25
[size=small]An obvious candidate that should make your list even if its impedance is 75 ohms and its cost about $25 over your limit is the Ultrasone HFI-650 TrackMaster. It's super efficient, has great isolation for a non-Ety phone and reputedly has a very uncolored sound with deep bass down to 15Hz. Both Jan Meier and Kelly consider them the best closed cans they have ever heard.[[/size]

May 9, 2003 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Jap
[size=small]An obvious candidate that should make your list even if its impedance is 75 ohms and its cost about $25 over your limit is the Ultrasone HFI-650 TrackMaster. It's super efficient, has great isolation for a non-Ety phone and reputedly has a very uncolored sound with deep bass down to 15Hz. Both Jan Meier and Kelly consider them the best closed cans they have ever heard.[[/size]

I was going to recommend these as well but bangraman put a strict limit on 32 ohms. Sure you won't change your mind? They'd really suit you well...they fold up and aren't too big. I agree with everything Jap said.

May 9, 2003 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 25
CD3k's are 32ohms arent they?

wouldnt help much for portability as they are HUGE.
tongue.gif

May 9, 2003 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
I was going to recommend these as well but bangraman put a strict limit on 32 ohms.

[size=small]I recommended them anyway because whenever I try to place strict restrictions on purchase choices, I always, always! end up finding something extremely suitable that's just outside of my restriction zone. I tend to chalk it up to having to spend a little more for true quality.
cool.gif
[/size]

May 9, 2003 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Jap
[size=small]I recommended them anyway because whenever I try to place strict restrictions on purchase choices, I always, always! end up finding something extremely suitable that's just outside of my restriction zone. I tend to chalk it up to having to spend a little more for true quality.
cool.gif
[/size]

Yeah I mean, hey, even Portapros are like 64 ohms! You have expand your choices sometimes just a bit. The HFI-650 works fine out of my TBSC soundcard and PC, I think an MD unit would work fine as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2003 at 10:57 PM Post #13 of 25
Those Sony MDR-CD580 is what u r looking for, except it cant be folded. (Closed, 32 Ohm, 106 dB, comfortness)

May 9, 2003 at 11:55 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
<32 ohms.
>102db/mw.
Folding.
Closed.

I think you're overemphasizing the role impedence plays in sound. Good 64 ohm phones like the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro run at ear-splitting levels out of every single portable I've plugged them in to.

And the 280 Pros fold up quite nicely for a pair of full-sized.

But if you're stuck on that magic number 32 for some reason, all I can say is "whatever, man!"

--Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back