Traveling to Spain
Feb 21, 2005 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

saab

500+ Head-Fier
My wife and I are planning to travel to Spain sometime this summer, but we need recommendations. I am wondering where the best place to get plane tickets and hotel reservations would be.

We would like to be there two weeks or so. Please feel free to give any advice.

I have been to Europe a few times, but never Spain. She is a Spanish teacher, but has never been to Spain. I think we would like historic type stuff, but don't want the tour thing.

Thanks
-John

Feb 21, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 9
Don't have much in the way of tips here. I've only been to Barcelona, which was very nice. We drove there from France and Italy, though. Since I live in CA, I was always under the impression that Spain was darker and more latin american/african flavored what with the invasions and occupations etc., but Barcelona was basically European. Came as a shock to me. Might be much different farther south, I suppose.

Feb 22, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Don't have much in the way of tips here. I've only been to Barcelona, which was very nice. We drove there from France and Italy, though. Since I live in CA, I was always under the impression that Spain was darker and more latin american/african flavored what with the invasions and occupations etc., but Barcelona was basically European. Came as a shock to me. Might be much different farther south, I suppose.

Why would you think that? Is this a common stereotype that people have?
confused.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 9
Be sure to eat at El Bulli or Arzak

Feb 22, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 9
Where would be a good (cheapest) place to get plane tickets from? Am I better off just going to a travel agent to plan the trip and hotels and everything?

Thanks for the replies so far.
-John

Feb 22, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #9 of 9
I haven't been to Spain myself, but I have done a little bit of research on it when I was considering going last year.

As viator122 already mentioned, with two weeks you should definitely find the time to head south to Granada and check out the Alhambra. The architecture and vistas there are supposed to be stunning.

Do you have an .edu address? You can sometimes score cheap tickets through Student Universe, which offers discounted airfare to students and faculty. I haven't used them in awhile, but unless they've changed, all you need is an .edu address for verification purposes.

You should also check out Fodor's Forums for lots of great information from other travelers. You can also post any questions you have there as well. I travel pretty frequently and have always found that community to be a tremendous informational resource (much like how I find Head-Fi to be a treasure trove for headphone info). Unfortunately, the design of their forums isn't the best, so you'll have to make frequent use of their search feature.

Best of luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back