Traveling headphones for classical music
Aug 16, 2018 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

average listener

New Head-Fier
Hi guys.

I am looking for a fairly casual pair of headphones well suited to classical music. This pair would ideally check some or all of the points below:

Good ‘daily drivers’:
- decent passive sound attenuation
- doesn’t leak
- removable cable
- low enough impedance to be driven off iPhone
- good build quality

Good for classical:
- decent soundstage (for closed cans)
- good mids and highs
- decent accuracy

Budget:
Under 350$ preferably

If anyone has any opinions or suggestions, shout ‘em out!

Thanks!

Aug 16, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 4
Consider the Bang & Olufsen H6. B&O recently discontinued all of its wired headphones, including the H6, and you may find attractive pricing. The current B&H price is $300, which is certainly less than I paid when I purchased the H6 (gen. 1), but the price may come down. Might be worth calling a B&O shop directly to see if they have a set in stock and, if so, what they want for it.

I own five pair of headphones ranging in price from US$130 to $600, and the H6s are for me the most comfortable. There’s no problem driving them from an iPhone (if I recall, impedence is 31 Ohms), and I like the sound a lot for both classical and jazz. Some people think that the H6 (gen. 2), which is what you would get if you purchased new, has a bit more bass emphasis than my gen. 1.

I should mention that replacement earpads are not cheap ($57 the pair), but if I recall they are made of lamb skin or similar, which would explain that.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 4
Hi average listener,

I suggest looking into the following in no particular order :

Sony 1000 XM2
Sony 1 AM2
Meze 99 Classics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back