Travel Kit
Jul 19, 2014 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

asyork

New Head-Fier
I have been traveling for work lately, and am missing my home setup (HE-500, Lyr, and Bifrost).

While on the road, I spend a lot of time watching Netflix and listening to compressed music (Pandora and mp3s) from a wide range of genres, but they are mostly in the indie rock, lowfi, jazz range of things.

I need something that is small, lightweight, either durable or with a carrying case suggestion, that people near me won't hear, and that will block at least some noise if not a lot of noise (I usually only fly a few times a year, but makings those trips more peaceful would be nice.). I'll probably look for something similar to a tiny pelican case if nothing else is suggested for transportation.

Currently I am just using the headphones that came with my Galaxy SIII. They are alright, but it would be nice to get something that might make it worth bringing alone some of my flac music.

My source will usually be my laptop, which does have mini toslink, and will be my phone when flying.

I do have a FiiO E7, though I left it at home and probably won't be back for 3 weeks. So ideally I will get some phones that may benefit from an amp/dac, but do not need one.

If there are some good bluetooth headphones that aren't a huge pain, that would be nice. I haven't checked for a couple years, but they all used to suck and/or have terrible battery life.

With good reason I could be convinced to spend up to $300, but would prefer the $100-$200 range.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 8
Here's what I use on the go - off cam, those Aurisonics ASG-1 IEMs came with an Otterbox instead of the usual cardboard box with a fabric carry case. You can find the latest version of that IEM on Amazon, or directly from Aurisonics. Get Sony Hybrid tips (I got the white one, but that's not the one in the photo) and stretch it over the bore using a tweezer as a spreader. More comfortable as it's firmer than the stock tip, which is too pliant and you feel the bore/spout in your ear canal when you move. I think those come with all sizes on the stock packaging, then some sellers on eBay sell them repacked with the same size (I got one with six pairs of the medium tips for $12).

---

Also, when I get home, I just easily slip off the A-Case Superleggera Pro (rubber inner layer that doesn't scratch the phone with constant removal, plastic outer that keep the rubber layer tightly in place), and dock it into this as a music server (USB Audio via OTG adapter):

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 8
With good reason I could be convinced to spend up to $300, but would prefer the $100-$200 range.

Quote:
  Thanks for the suggestion, but those seem to be a bit out of my price range. That dock is interesting though.

Whoops, I didn't see the v1.5 is already $350 
triportsad.gif
 The original was $299.

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 8
I bought the Shure SE-425 from Amazon. I'm still testing out different tips, but so far I like them. They are my first pair of IEMs that didn't come with a phone though, so I have nothing to compare to. I also don't have my amp and dac available, and won't for a few weeks. The description for the one I bought made it sound like it would come with the mic cable, but it didn't, so I'm considering returning it and still shopping around.

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #6 of 8
  I bought the Shure SE-425 from Amazon. I'm still testing out different tips, but so far I like them. They are my first pair of IEMs that didn't come with a phone though, so I have nothing to compare to. I also don't have my amp and dac available, and won't for a few weeks. The description for the one I bought made it sound like it would come with the mic cable, but it didn't, so I'm considering returning it and still shopping around.

AFAIK the SE535 is the one that comes with the mic; the SE530 before it came with the in-line mic (the cables were replaceable from the Y-junction to the device). If the SE535 mic cable is basically the same type of removable cable as the SE425's cable, then you can just order that and hook it up, considering the shipping cost of sending that back vs the cost of the cable+shipping. Also I don't recall any of the more serious IEMs at that price point coming with a mic cable aside from the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10vi, but it's now discontinued; even if that wasn't so, it has an abnormal fit thanks to how UE designed the shell and you'll look like Frankenstein's monster (except the bolts are at your ears, not the neck). At a minimum you'll need to disconnect the cables at the IEM's end and swap out left and right. The replacement model still sells for well over $300, and I'm not sure if that comes with a mic cable.

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 8
Logitech UE6000. They are over ear, but fold up pretty small and come with a neoprene case.

Here is a review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back