Trash or Treasure?
Dec 24, 2007 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

h4n9m4n

100+ Head-Fier
Well, my house has a bunch of old home theatre stuff that we basically got for free from relatives (except for the harmon/kardon reciever which is so old I don't ever remember if there was a time where we didn't have it). I was wondering, does anybody know if all this stuff is actually worth anything?

Picture001.jpg

Harmon/Kardon AVR 25ii. My family still uses it for home theatre, unfortunately. we have it hooked up to 5 JBL speakers. We plan to get a new ONKYO reciever, 2 speakers, and a subwoofer to add to it sooner or later.

Picture002.jpg

Pioneer CLD-V840. LaserDisc Player. We used to use it for Laserdisc karaoke, I wonder if its a good cd-player... I'll have to fix the tray though (doesnt eject).

Picture004.jpg

Pioneer VSX-502. I got it from my uncle, hooked it up to some speakers, and have never ever turned it on. smells funny. I think there are some cockroaches inside of it... but it works.

Picture006.jpg

This looks like it has a bit of potential. They function as a pair. Kenwood KC-207 and KM-207. My lights dim when I turn these on. Musical powerhouse? or crappy old power hungry junk?

Picture005.jpg

Some huge kenwood speakers i have in a plastic wrap out in the patio. I don't really have anything to hook them up to.

Picture003.jpg

I use these as a TV stand. They aren't hooked up to the TV, though
tongue.gif

I don't ever use this stuff, but should I?

Dec 24, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 6
Id use the Infinity's and the HK chuck the Pioneer reciever, and sell the rest off. That is my opinion based on no research. I personally have never liked Kenwood home stereo gear. But try the headphone output on that Kenwood it might make for a goo headphone amp a bulky one albeit.

Dec 25, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by h4n9m4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the harmon/kardon is actually good? i'm pretty suprised seeing that it cant even do 5.1

HK has always been an elite consumer line product, its not super expensive and they are built well. Plus 5.1 doesnt matter if you are listening in stereo.

Dec 26, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by h4n9m4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the harmon/kardon is actually good? i'm pretty suprised seeing that it cant even do 5.1

I still have my AVR-25 Mk II. Not heavy wattage, but the sound quality is surprisingly good from this IMO. Years ago, "we" (IE, my wife) redesigned our family room, and there was no more room for my Legacy Classic's.

Rather than see them sit in oblivion in the basement, and remind me I can't use them, I sold them. When I demo'd them, I drove them with my H-K, apologizing in advance for driving them with a measly receiver.

Both the buyer and I were amazed at how good these speakers sounded, and he bought them after listening to one CD. No, they didn't sound as good as when driven by my Krell separates of the time, but the H-K did a fine job in showing their strengths.

All that said....the H-K doesn't do Dolby Digital, just Pro-Logic. As a HT receiver, it is not up to date by a long shot. But it's great to get started with, and you can build on it later....

EDIT: PS - H-K's newer receivers don't do the sound quality as good IMO. I have heard two of them, and they are a bit muddied, bass-deficient, and less detailed in the high's, based on what I heard....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back