Source: Work - Computer w/ onboard sound
Home - Computer w/ Audigy 2 ZS
Portable - Sony D-CJ01

Phones: Senn HD280 Pro (on backorder)

Budget:
ideally around $100
up to $150
absoulte max $200

Looking for an amp powered by an a/c adaptor and by batteries. It will be used primarly at work, home on the weekends and occasionlly I'll use it as a portable with my cd/mp3 player. So most of the time it'll be plugged in, but I still want the option of using battery power. I will also probably use it for long periods of time (9 hours a day - over 50 hours a week) - if it makes a difference or not - I don't know.

I've considered building a Cmoy. I have most of the tools. All I need is a soldering iron and the supplies. But if I build a Cmoy its going to be for fun and I still want a better amp for regular everyday use at my desk.

I realize that the weak link is probably the onboard sound of my work computer. So I wanna match my system so that the amp isn't overkill. I also would like to try to reduce any weaknesses in the HD280's (weak bass).

From my research it looks like the following are my choices:

-JMT transportable
-maxi moy
-custom mint/pimeta w/ external power supply

I would like to go with the customized mint in a snazzy aluminum enclosure. I think this would be more than enough considering the onboard sound??? I hate to say it, but I think the aesthetics might influence my decision the most. Dont get me wrong, I want it sound good but I also want the ohh-ahh, geeky, coolness factor too.

Also does anyone know where there are pictures of the JMT transportable. The ones on his site really dont show the outside much.

Thanks in advance.
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 14
If you don't mind swapping the backplate to toggle between outlet/battery operation, the Portaphile V2 will be released in a couple weeks. Shipped it will come out just below $200... http://portaphile.com/Myamplifiers.html

Impressions of the beta V2 ("deserving of high ranking, possibly in the top 2 or 3 true portable amps... The Portaphile and the AOS Flute come closest to the SR-71's capabilities") - http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=portaphile+v2

FWIW, I'm in the same boat - software engineer, left alone for hours at a time. Actually used to own the HD280s a year or two ago. Picked up Ety ER4Ps, EMU 0404, this amp (on the way), and 2 160 gig harddrives (1 work machine, 1 external for backup/transport). About twice as much as I initially planned to spend, OTOH this equipment is going to see much use and bring more focus to my daily activities so I count these as high value purchases.

Feb 18, 2005 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 14
Well the Portaphile V2 looks like an excelent choice.
Although, with the wall wart, propably come out to over $200.
I may be able to swing that, but I still wonder if its going to be way overkill for what I need?
I'm guessing that the portaphile is much-much better than any of the amps I mentioned?

Feb 18, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 14
That is true, with the 24v power supply Cesar recommends the price will come to about $225... otoh, that cost would be added into any other dual purpose amp. As well investing in a rechargeable 9v battery or two with a charger, it can add up. Many folks imply once you go past a Pimeta level amp the returns drop off relative to price. Though if the Portaphile competes with amps costing twice as much perhaps the $30-40 difference between it and something like the JMT Transportable is rather insignificant.

Feb 18, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 14
go for the maxi moy from drewd at www.shellbrooklab.com, i just received mine in the mail and it's excellent he'll ship it with the additional ac adaptor for just $20 more bringing the grand total including shipping to $180.00 I shopped around for a while and based on the price, build quality, warranty and great customer service and question answering from drew you can't go wrong with his products

Feb 18, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 14
Yes, I believe the maxi is my best bet for an off-the-shelf amp.
The portaphile and even the JMT transportable (w/ wall wart and hammond case) are probably more than what I want to spend.
The maxi is shown at $125 (US delivery), so even with a wall wart how did it come to $180??? Also, can I get the maxi in anodized black
cool.gif
And how do these amps compare to each other. Is the maxi just another (better) version of a pimeta?

Feb 18, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #7 of 14
Has Drew fixed his backlog issues? I was looking at his amps recently but put him out of the running due to reports of orders placed as far back as last Nov. not being filled. His amps do get nice praise, but haven't seen any comparos against SM/SR-71/GL.

Feb 19, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #10 of 14
From the looks of it, the difference between a regular cmoy and a maxi moy is the extra buffers, rail splitter, and a dc jack. I doubt you will get any noticeable improvement from a regular cmoy in a mint tin, which costs only $50 or so. This price difference is pretty big, imo.

I think it's worth the investment to go with a portaphile or a pimeta, which starts at $160 from rockhopperaudio.com and well within your $200 limit.

I haven't heard about the Xenos 3HA amp, but considering it runs on 4 AA batteries, I doubt if it has enough power to drive high impedance headphones very well, not to mention that the casing looks like something that came from radio shack.
icon10.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
From the looks of it, the difference between a regular cmoy and a maxi moy is the extra buffers, rail splitter, and a dc jack. I doubt you will get any noticeable improvement from a regular cmoy in a mint tin, which costs only $50 or so. This price difference is pretty big, imo.

Thanks for the info. I kinda wondered about the differences of the maxi vs. a regular cmoy. But I remember reading this thread...

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&highlight=moy

Quote:

The amp is really closer to a META42 or MINT than a CMoy. But since it's based on Chu Moy's original design, it seems appropriate to give credit where it's due. But it's not really a simple CMoy amp, not by a fair piece.

So I guess a maxi is somewhere between a maxed out cmoy and a pimeta????

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #13 of 14
Info on the XENOS X3HA for the uninformed:

http://www.aptecpro.com/Xenos-Prod/X...ata-sheet.html

BTW. it uses a DC to DC converter for the power rails (Battery voltage is increased to +10v and -10v, 20volts total - perfect for driving HiZ cans).

Cheers

-Edited for clarity

Feb 19, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #14 of 14
Another thread discusing Pimetas and the Maxi Moy, also info on custom builders -

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/show...hlight=maxi+moy

It might be worthwhile to investigate custom built amps, seems pimetas could be had in the $130 area, maybe dual power transportables?

It also might be worthwhile to do some digging over in the meets impressions forums as well for specific amps. Unforunately sub $200 amps don't seem to represented so well at meets, and most people owning these amps have little experience with other amps (perfectly understandable). But all in all are very pleased with their purchase. That's why after perusing this board for a couple months I pulled the trigger so fast on the Portaphile - it wasn't just a glowing review, it was a glowing review after a meet auditioning plenty of top amps and coming in at an attractive price point relative to its competition. But using 3 8610s it could come in a bit too bright for Ety ER4s, who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back