Transportable Amp and DAC advice needed
Aug 24, 2007 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DaNuS

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking to put together a headphone system at work . I am trying to find a setup that I can unload and pack up at work dailiy. I'm leaning towards the total bithead or the corda move but I was wondering if there are any other amps that might be a good choice. I don't really need battery power at all so I can go larger but I don't know if there is anything out there that is a size between something like the Move and the Opera/Cantante etc. I've searched the threads but wanted to make sure there aren't any DAC/Amp combos I've missed or smaller seperates that might be worth checking out. It doesn't have to be tiny, I just have to be able to pack it up in a dedicated backpack and I need to have USB as a source since I plan to hook it up to a laptop. Thanks!

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 13
Gee, I don't know . . maybe the iBasso D1?

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 13
Does anyone know what is inside of the MicroAmp/Dac? What chips etc?

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gee, I don't know . . maybe the iBasso D1?

Yeah,

I saw that one as well but it seems like it is similar to the Move and the Bithead... more portable than transportable.

The Headroom Micro does look perfect. Might just have to wait until October. Thanks guys!

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 13
Ok, but the D1 and the Micro are about the same size and I can see that the Micro amp/dac is also portable with its built in batteries (the same size as the D1 and the same run time) and use of a wallwart to charge the unit, as with the D1. The big difference is it cost more and granted, it hasn't been heard yet. I also find much of Headrooms stuff over priced. But that is my opinion.

Aug 24, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 13
Cool. It does seem a bit high compared to what's out there. Have you heard the Total Bithead? The price on that unit seems quite reasonable. If you have, can you share your impressions compared to something like the D1 or Move?

Aug 24, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 13
I haven't but I am sure someone around here has. The market is generating some very nice and affordable amps and dacs. I see no reason to pay some of the prices when I hear the performance I do for 200 to 300 dollars.

Aug 25, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 13
theres the fubar II usb/dac by firestone you should check out but Ive never tried, just looking at.

Aug 25, 2007 at 10:39 AM Post #11 of 13
Related question to the OP -

Will having a dedicated dac (eg. Soundcard Optical Out -> Beresford TC7510) + other amp be particularly better than the iBasso D1 combo? That is, is the DAC of the Beresford going to be particularly better than the D1 DAC?

For the OP, the Beresford has a Headphone amp integrated and will be bag fittable. The amp is reportedly not particularly great though.

Aug 25, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #12 of 13
The Fubar III is a transportable USB/DAC. It is supposed to be equivalent to a Firestone Fubar II DAC + Cute II headphone amp but costs a lot less than the 2 bought separately (only $229):

http://www.audiophileproducts.com/fubar3

You can also get a Supplier Power Unit for around $100 at some point in the future. You can also easily change out the Opamps for a different sound.

I don't have a Fubar III but I own a Fubar II DAC, Spitfire DAC and Cute Beyond Amp. I am really happy with the quality of all of their products and highly recommend them. The reason I didn't buy the Fubar III is because it is new and was not around when I bought my firestone products.

You can find some reviews of their products if you look around. The company that handles North American sales is really awesome. They are situated in Canada. They used to just sell on ebay but now have their website up (see above).

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwest1389 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
theres the fubar II usb/dac by firestone you
should check out but Ive never tried, just looking at.

Aug 25, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #13 of 13
Lavry DA10. This really is a small light weight unit. Add a Hagusb to it and you have what you ask for.

Or you can email Justin at Headamp about when his new unit will be out. For you it will be killer. He had this at the Washington DC area meet last month.

cropped_image_a.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back