Transition Lens for Your Glasses?
Jun 27, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #16 of 23
Some issues here.

First of all, "Transitions" is a brand of photochromic (darken when exposed to UV) lenses, made by Transitions Optical, a subsidiary of PPG (formerly "Pittsburgh Paint and Glass"). There are a number of others, including those using lenses made by Corning.

Buyer's Guide to Photochromic Lenses, Variable Tint Lenses, and Tinted Eyeglass Lenses at AllAboutVision.com

I believe that people who don't like this type of eyewear don't have real Transitions -- they have something else. Real Transitions are fantastic IMHO (I have no connection with them or the optical industry whatsoever). No tint indoors, excellent performance when outdoors. The best. So: know what you are buying. Insist on seeing the certificate that comes with real Transition lenses, or the optician's invoice, etc.

The "riding in cars" thing is also complex. Higher-end cars have excellent UV shielding in their glass anyway, which is why there is no glare and Transitions work fine to drive with (even though they do not darken). "Driving lenses" are a thing of the past. All front windshields, and side windows in better cars block UV ... and therefore glare. You can test this with photochromic glasses ... I check the side windows this way when buying cars.

I found the forum where lens professionals hang out like we do here ... and there is an engineer from Transitions making this very point:

Light through the car's side windows allowing Transition lenses to darken. - OptiBoard Discussion Forums

Jun 27, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that people who don't like this type of eyewear don't have real Transitions -- they have something else. Real Transitions are fantastic IMHO (I have no connection with them or the optical industry whatsoever). No tint indoors, excellent performance when outdoors.

I agree. I just went and compared my Transitions(tm) to clear plastic lenses and I can't detect any tint indoors at all. I've seen other brands and they clearly have a tint (Corning as one of them)

Jul 5, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #20 of 23
i got mine transition lens in china, it cost about 800rmb,$130usd, they are great.
but that was two years ago.

i want buy a new lens but i have no idea how much its cost in texas,and what brand is good.

the len i have i believe its made of some sort of plastic,
its get darker very fast,ai..

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #21 of 23
I got tired of mine since they took too long to lighten up indoors. They also seemed to be a little cloudier than my other glasses. Instead, I just wear my industrial shop glasses (almost as bad as BCG's) and prescription wraparound sunglasses outside.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #22 of 23
I have had my transition glasses for almost two yeas and I have to say I am not all that impressed with them. At the time my eye doctor really sold me on them and stated they would transition in just a minute or two. The reality is they take more like 10 to 15 minutes to transition back to clear. So when I walk into an office I typically have to take my glasses off so I can see what I am reading… but I need my glasses so I can read. And, on cloudy overcast days when I am outside working, the lenses darken just like it was a blue bird day. I have to say I am not impressed with these glasses; 1. because of the price and 2. because they are just not practical. In my opinion you would be better served by not getting transition lenses and saving your money for a pair of prescription sunglasses. Don’t buy into the hype of transition lenses.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #23 of 23
Having worn actual Transition brand lenses for many years, I'd have to say there is no hype. They don't instantly go from tinted to clear when indoors, especially when it's cold but they tell you that in the literature. They still darken when the sun isn't visible because the UV rays are still there. I've never noticed any hint of tint indoors after they change. I wear glasses with clear frames and you can't see any tinting in the lenses indoors. I really like them and don't plan to ever get glasses again without them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back