Transition from Beats Pro
Feb 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #18 of 25

Quote:
So let's say I did purchase the Denon D5000s. If my music is in the 256kbps, will that be an issue? is it worth buying these headphones if all my music is this quality?

Even 192kbps will sound very good, if you listen side by side you can probably tell 192kbps from lossless/320kbit/s but it's not like 192kbps sounds like what Youtube did 5 years ago. People really overhype what compression does and doesn't do. I'd take my D2000 with only 192kbps mp3s over.. say the HD558 or HD25-1 II or something with only lossless.
In short you should be very happy if you get to hear your 256kbps files with your D5000.

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #19 of 25
Most people can't tell a big difference even from 128kbps to 320kbps (if you listen to hi-hats or high-frequency sounds you can, though), so anything over 192 is a good benchmark when starting out. Unless you're buying an HD800 or SR009 or something, the compression doesn't have to be anything more than decent.

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #20 of 25
Like you, I started my journey with the Beats Pros.  I still do love them tremendously and they are the cans I use more than any other.  I have to tell you that my taste in music is more or less about 70% hip hop and rap.  I love deep, sub base.  I hardly listen to any metal, so I can't really help you in that regard.  What I like about the Beats Pros is that they absolutely require no amping and they do sound 100 times better than the Studios and Solos which everyone hates on so much.  Clarity and separation of lows, mids and highs are a lot better.

I currently also own the Sennheiser HD650, AKG Q701 and Beyerdynamics DT 770 PRO 80 and Crossfade LP.  The Senns and AKG definitely benefit from an amp.  I have the Fiio E7/E9 combo, which is a budget set up, but still improves the HPs a lot. I love all of my HPs for the differences they provide, but like I said, the Beats Pro are the cans I usually turn to, but that is in part due them being a lot more portable (sans amp) and my choice in music. 

Next on my list to try is something from the Grado line, which from what I hear is great with rock/metal.  I can't say for sure because I never heard them, but it may be something for you to consider.  I know they have something for every budget which still retains that signature Grado sound that everyone talks about.

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #22 of 25

Quote:
I can actually hear the differences between 256 kbps aac and 320 kbps mp3.

you should do a ABX and post the results and your thoughts in the Sound Science section. 
normal_smile .gif

Mar 3, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #23 of 25
Brooklyn Head-Fi-er here as well.

J&R Music World on Park Row in Manhattan has a good selection of cans that you can try.  With some of them, you can only listen to the music they have running through them, which is annoying, but for others, including Denons, you can hook them up to your Ipod or whatever.

Guitar center has a limited selection, but you can listen there as well. 

There used to be a lot of hi-fi places in Manhattan, some of which sold headphones, but I think a lot of them have closed.  Maybe also try Stereo Exchange in the village.  Truthfully,I don't like that place, but you may be able to audition stuff there.  Also, maybe In Living Stereo, over near NYU, and Canal Hi-Fi or something like that.

A lot of these places have websites, so you can see (1) if they are still around, and (2) if they sell headphones.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back